cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Credit Karma lie about credit report?

tag

Does Credit Karma lie about credit report?

I know sites like Credit karma don't give accurate credit scores (not FICO) but do they actually lie about what is contained in your report? I don't really put much stock in the scores there since I found my FICO but they still send emails from time to time and i got a low score alert yesterday . When I logged in and looked it showed a 552 which I know doesn't matter because my FICO is 623 that's all I am worried about but it went on to say that I have 14 accounts(open and closed) that have had late payments on them and listed all my loan accounts ( Security Finance, Sun Loan, Etc,)  Now my credit report from myfico.com from 2 weeks ago shows no late payments of 30,60, or 90 days on any of these accounts ever. Some of these accounts on credit Karma they are saying have only been paid ontime 50% of the time. What is going on? are they lying about what is in my credit report? I don't  EVER pay my loan payments 30,60 or 90 days late and if they are misleading people on purpose that is really shady business

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Does Credit Karma lie about credit report?

IME, the report information from creditkarma is accurate.   You must have some baddies on your credit report.  What is holding down your score if you have no late payments ever?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@neonangelwings wrote:

I know sites like Credit karma don't give accurate credit scores (not FICO) but do they actually lie about what is contained in your report? I don't really put much stock in the scores there since I found my FICO but they still send emails from time to time and i got a low score alert yesterday . When I logged in and looked it showed a 552 which I know doesn't matter because my FICO is 623 that's all I am worried about but it went on to say that I have 14 accounts(open and closed) that have had late payments on them and listed all my loan accounts ( Security Finance, Sun Loan, Etc,)  Now my credit report from myfico.com from 2 weeks ago shows no late payments of 30,60, or 90 days on any of these accounts ever. Some of these accounts on credit Karma they are saying have only been paid ontime 50% of the time. What is going on? are they lying about what is in my credit report? I don't  EVER pay my loan payments 30,60 or 90 days late and if they are misleading people on purpose that is really shady business

I have never heard of this. Now, CK does like to tell you how many accounts you "should have" and they do not factor in closed accounts into their AAoA. Just remember that sites like CK should only be used to track INQs and see when new accounts post. 

There was actually a new forum member yesterday or so that was going to get 22+ credit cards because CK said he should. Keep in mind that CK is basically run by the credit card companies. Now, we all see FICO on every thread on this website but the difference is they are not trying to mislead you due to sponsors. Plus, lenders do not pull your CK score Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 8

oh my score is for sure low because I have medical collections from a surgery that I am currently working on pay for delete.  I have 7 collections or will be 5 now that my 2 PFDs have been accepted but I haven't ever been late on a loan payment (partly because i know those places start calling around looking for you if you are and that's embarassing).  I do have copies of all 3 credit reports from within the last month specifically the transunion which credit Karma said it was looking at I got for free after requesting due to being denied credit and I went back over it last night and looked at these accounts ever single one of them for every month is listed as rated OK. So in my physical copy of that report I don't find any discrepancies. I thought maybe it was transunion thing since that is what credit karma used and on myfico.com I get Equifax but they are the same loan account and wouldn't they report the same way to all 3 anyway? but regardless they still show OK status on all month on the current copy I have. 

Message 4 of 8

from myfico

Credit At-A-Glance

Total past due [?] Credit history [?] Accounts with negative indicators [?]

No accounts past due7 Years0

and now from credit Karma

You have 14 accounts that have been delinquent on payments.
Accounts Activity

Your current credit report indicates that you have been delinquent on payments for 3 of your open accounts and 11 of your closed accounts. These delinquencies may have occurred at any point over the last 4 years.

Should I be concerned if I can clearly see that all of my other real credit reports look fine? I am trying to repair my credit and don't want anything I wasn't expecting to hold me back.

Message 5 of 8

ok I am even more confused now because on the credit report card page on credit karma this is what mine says

A Payment History 

You have the highest percent of payments made on-time found among all members.

You and 67.5% of related members have made your payments on-time 100% of the time

So on the main page it says I am late ALL the time and then on the report card it says I am on time 100% of the time OH GOODNESS!Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

This is a prime example on why CK should not be used to evaluate your credit. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@azguy13 wrote:

This is a prime example on why CK should not be used to evaluate your credit. 

I agree CK is not a reliable site for CR info.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.