Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Entering a payment plan matter?

tag
jarmll
Established Member

Does Entering a payment plan matter?

I have two accounts with Spring Oaks. They are offering payment plans. Does entering a plan and paying it off matter at all?

Mid 500s across the board as of 10/7/2016
EQ: 543
TU: 540
EX: 520
6 REPLIES 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Does Entering a payment plan matter?

Does it matter as far as what?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 7
jarmll
Established Member

Does it impact your score once you start making payments and the balance owed decreases?

Mid 500s across the board as of 10/7/2016
EQ: 543
TU: 540
EX: 520
Message 3 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@jarmll wrote:

Does it impact your score once you start making payments and the balance owed decreases?

It could, if the account wasn't already updating regularly prior to you starting payments and the CA/OC reporting said payments every month. It could cause a score drop because the FICO algorithm would see the new activity as a "fresh" derogatory (even though it's not, obviously) and hit you with a "catch up" penalty. This would only be temporary, though, and eventually you'd recover those points and more.

If, however, the account has been regularly updating every month to show the derogatory status, then as the balance goes down and it crosses utilization thresholds (88.9%, 68.9%, 48.9%, 28.9%, 8.9%, and finally 0%), you could potentially see some boosts.

Note the above only applies if its a charged off account reporting. If it's a collection, there would be no score bonuses as you pay it down, most likely not even once it's paid down to zero.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Paying collections over time and then paying it off doesnt do anything scoring wise. It will look better that you paid your debts. It appears you already spoke to them. Call again and ask for pay for delete. Only score it helps is Vantage like Credit Karma which doesnt count paid collections.

Message 5 of 7
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Paying collections over time and then paying it off doesnt do anything scoring wise. It will look better that you paid your debts. It appears you already spoke to them. Call again and ask for pay for delete. Only score it helps is Vantage like Credit Karma which doesnt count paid collections.

I may be remembering incorrectly but I feel like I read on the forums that paid collections also don't count against you on FICO 9, but I could be wrong. This could help if you were looking at getting in with a lender who pulls FICO 9 such as Navy Fed. Either way your best option is pay for delete.

Message 6 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Ilinferno wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I may be remembering incorrectly but I feel like I read on the forums that paid collections also don't count against you on FICO 9, but I could be wrong. This could help if you were looking at getting in with a lender who pulls FICO 9 such as Navy Fed. Either way your best option is pay for delete.

Your correct on FICO 9 with paid collections.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.