Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Unique National have a SOL?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Unique National have a SOL?

Hello, thanks in advance for any advice =) I have a Unique National Collection library debt on my credit report and was wondering what was the best solution to take in getting rid of it. I am not sure exactly what DLA stands for, but in the column marked Date Opened/DLA in my credit report, it says 3/2003 and 4/2003. I'm guessing that's when it opened. I looked at the statute of limitations, and it looks like four years has passed. Can I dispute this and get it removed? or must I wait 7 years? If the SOL is not up, what specific steps must I take to get it paid and taken of my credit report. From reading the posts here, I know I have to pay the library first, but I'm not sure of what I do first, send letters? Send payment? Thanks!!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does Unique National have a SOL?

swtpeasie, welcome to the forum. You are confusing SOL and CRTP

SOL is set by the state and CRTP  is federal dealing with the length of time that it can remain on your CR. 7- 7.5 years from DOFD.

check out this thread it is for newbies. It has all the abbrevs that we use AND the frequently requested thread. It is full of info.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need!

I would DV the CA  CMRRR!!!    
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the link for the newbie guide HappyDays was referring to -

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you side.......im not all here as you can tell!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the link! I did get a little confused about where it was, but managed to find it myself also =) I was looking for specific steps to take, and from reading other posts having to do with Unique, I think this is what I'm supposed to do: 1) Contact library directly and pay overdue amount. 2) Send a Dispute letter to Unique with return receipt (I'm sorry, I haven't memorized all the acronyms yet.) 3) Send an additional letter if they don't reply, also with return receipt. 4) Then if still no answer, dispute it with the credit bureaus? If there's anything that needs to be added, please let me know =) Thanks!!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You only file a dispute with the CRAs!!!  you would DV a CA  only  CMRRR

I would mail a PFD to the OC (library)  If they accept (and wording must be just right from them) Then pay them.

If they will not accept the PFD  and you are past SOL...then send a DV letter to the CA  CMRRR
      they (CA) must answer it within 30 days

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The above advice is worth trying, but you should know this: In a couple of lawsuits against Unique National, Federal courts have decided that they are in a "unique" position. Because they are collecting fines, they are not considered a debt collector under the FDCPA. So all of our techniques which rely on that law are essentially useless.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.