Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a Utility CO ruin scores and credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does a Utility CO ruin scores and credit

So i gave this utility CO from SCE in the amount of $890. This was on my property that my cousin was renting and had reopened an account in my name after i had him change the accounts to his name. Long story short i found out about the bills on my credit.
I have attempted to fight it but to no avail. I dont want to file a police report coz i dont want to prosecute someone over that small amount and have his whole family suffer.
This CO is only showing up on my Experian credity, and current scores are 665. I JU get denials from most banks that only check experian and approval from other banks that check other bureaus. Otherwise my reports are similar across the board with 1 baddie(foreclosure 2013)
Any ideas on how to deal with SCE (southern California Edison). I have tried everything even pfd, gw, they are not budging.
Can i still file the affidavit and identify theft even if it took place back in 2012-2013.
Should i go ahead and pay it so it can show paid in full?
Any advice will be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does a Utility CO ruin scores and credit

@Anonymous wrote:
So i gave this utility CO from SCE in the amount of $890. This was on my property that my cousin was renting and had reopened an account in my name after i had him change the accounts to his name. Long story short i found out about the bills on my credit.
I have attempted to fight it but to no avail. I dont want to file a police report coz i dont want to prosecute someone over that small amount and have his whole family suffer.
This CO is only showing up on my Experian credity, and current scores are 665. I JU get denials from most banks that only check experian and approval from other banks that check other bureaus. Otherwise my reports are similar across the board with 1 baddie(foreclosure 2013)
Any ideas on how to deal with SCE (southern California Edison). I have tried everything even pfd, gw, they are not budging.
Can i still file the affidavit and identify theft even if it took place back in 2012-2013.

Yes you can still file it is ID theft at this time. Personally if they wont remove in exchange for payment I wouldnt pay them at all and put a statement on file as to why you wont pay it. If you go thru the ID theft steps it can be excluded completely from the report. To answer your title on this its yes as far as scoring is concerned its going to affect it the entire time its on file paid or not and if its not updating monthly its already aging in Ficos eyes and all that more reason to leave it alone.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the insight. I will follow up with ID theft and file an affidavit. I will keep y'all updated.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes you can still file it is ID theft at this time. Personally if they wont remove in exchange for payment I wouldnt pay them at all and put a statement on file as to why you wont pay it. If you go thru the ID theft steps it can be excluded completely from the report. To answer your title on this its yes as far as scoring is concerned its going to affect it the entire time its on file paid or not and if its not updating monthly its already aging in Ficos eyes and all that more reason to leave it alone.

This one is somewhat questionable as to using ID Theft provision (FCRA 605B). The reason being is that OP is owner of the property. In some instances the property owner can be held responsible for unpaid utilities of the tenant. Depends on the tenancy laws in his state I believe.

I would definitely try though, and hope that the CRA's don't look too closely....

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.