Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does getting a new card extend SOL on old card account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does getting a new card extend SOL on old card account

I have a couple of accounts that were closed, charged off, and ultimately sold to JDBs. Last payments were made in 2002. A couple of years ago, I was offered new accounts from two of these old companies, C1 and HouseHold Bank. I get both of these accounts approved, and they have been current for almost 2 years now. My question is, the SOL expired on the old accounts last year, but does opening new accounts re-start the SOL? Could the JDBs now sue and prevail?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Re: Does getting a new card extend SOL on old card account

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a couple of accounts that were closed, charged off, and ultimately sold to JDBs. Last payments were made in 2002. A couple of years ago, I was offered new accounts from two of these old companies, C1 and HouseHold Bank. I get both of these accounts approved, and they have been current for almost 2 years now. My question is, the SOL expired on the old accounts last year, but does opening new accounts re-start the SOL? Could the JDBs now sue and prevail?

Thanks!

You need to get this thread moved over to the correct forum where the right people are to answer your questions. A mod will probably do that for you. You might want to edit this post to include the state that you live in.

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming your state allows SOL to be restart after it expired (only a few states do), about the only thing that could restart it is with a payment to the OC on this debt. The OC has long since sold the debt to a CA and the CA to a JDB. So as long as you don't specify your payment as going to the old debt, you'll be OK.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input. My state is Washington, by the way. With that information, does your input change at all?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

My opinion is the same.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.