Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does money help when building credit.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does money help when building credit.

I haven't see anywhere if extra money can help build your credit. I have a 520 credit score due mostly to 4 accounts going into collections four years ago due to dumb mistakes I made. They total around $5,000 Slowly I worked back up to 590. Then got layed off at work a few months ago and didn't make my capital one secured card payment. It was on auto pay and I had no idea the payments where returned until I got the mail saying they were closing the account. I am back to working now and have 6 months of bill money in savings for if I ever get layed of again. I also have another $30,000 on top of that. (Lay off was a blessing I got a great job eventually) the only thing I have financed right now is an auto loan I still owe $16,000 on. I figured I should keep paying this to increase my on time payments. I read that opening a secured card will improve my credit which is why I got the Capitol One card in the first place. Also I understand high credit limit helps. Would putting say $5,000 on a secured card be beneficial or is it not worth tying that much money up? Is there anything besides just keep paying my bills that this excess money would help with?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does money help when building credit.

No, money does not help your credit score.  Opening up a secured card with a higher limit won't do you any good scoring wise.

The only thing you could do with your money is invest some of it into a credit repair service which could in time be successful in getting some negative items removed from your report in turn raising your scores.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't have any revolving lines, then a secured card is good to get. However, at this point it doesn't matter if it's $500 or $5000 except when it comes to graduating the card with a higher limit. Unfortunately, sounds like it would be difficult to get a good graduating secured card like Discover or BOA. You could try those, but your best bet might be NFCU. You'll want to build a revolving history of positive payments. Your current installment loan will eventually drop off, at which point you'll need another.

This is going to take a good deal of time. That's a lot of recent negatives to overcome. The sooner you start, the faster it will be over. And yes, a good credit repair service is called for as 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If there are no installment loans reporting for you, you could use some of that cash to setup a Share Secured Loan to improve your credit mix, and thereby boost your score.

Details can be found here

(this will be useful once you've paid off your auto loan)

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Extra money will not directly improve your credit score, but with enough money you do not need a credit score.

You can always pay for purchases in cash and with 20% or more and PIF you can get a mortgage no problem even with a 0 FICO score, and paying a mortgage or any type of loan on time will improve your score.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see any I'm we immediate needs to finance anything. That's exactly what I'm trying to do is buy I house soon. I had know idea 20% down would help that much. I'm assuming it would show pretty bad in my interest rates? Also what is PIF?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

"PIF" simply means to Pay in Full.  That is, when you get a CC statement in the mail for example, you pay the full statement balance.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I haven't see anywhere if extra money can help build your credit. I have a 520 credit score due mostly to 4 accounts going into collections four years ago due to dumb mistakes I made. They total around $5,000 Slowly I worked back up to 590. Then got layed off at work a few months ago and didn't make my capital one secured card payment. It was on auto pay and I had no idea the payments where returned until I got the mail saying they were closing the account. I am back to working now and have 6 months of bill money in savings for if I ever get layed of again. I also have another $30,000 on top of that. (Lay off was a blessing I got a great job eventually) the only thing I have financed right now is an auto loan I still owe $16,000 on. I figured I should keep paying this to increase my on time payments. I read that opening a secured card will improve my credit which is why I got the Capitol One card in the first place. Also I understand high credit limit helps. Would putting say $5,000 on a secured card be beneficial or is it not worth tying that much money up? Is there anything besides just keep paying my bills that this excess money would help with?

Have you paid off the collections?

Have you paid off the Capital One?

How long have you had the auto loan? How much was the original loan for?

Putting x $ on your secured card will raise the limit when it unsecures. That's the only direct benefit.

Money helps to pay off old debts, but that's about it. Many people with very little income have great credit. It's all about managing what you have and being mindful of what can happen if it goes wrong. Having 6 months of bill money is exactly the right thing to do. I also think it's wise to never put on credit cards what you can't PIF in a pinch. Sometimes things happen, of course, but it's a good rule of thumb. The more money you have saved up, the more money you can churn to raise your limits.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't paid off collections or Capitol one yet. I intend to but I didn't want to just jump out and pay everything without understanding how it all works. I want to do it the right way. The auto loan is about a year old and started at 20,000.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.