Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does paying a Charge-Off actually help?? Advice please

tag
firemartinez1980
Regular Contributor

Does paying a Charge-Off actually help?? Advice please

I had an auto loan in 2016 and unfortunately due to unforseen circumstances, I wasn't able to make the payments. The vehicle was considered a chargeoff and now the lender is giving me a settlement offer.

The account on my credit report shows as "closed" and in the comments it states "Charge-off".....If I paid this settlement and the balance went to $0, would this help my credit? If so, how much on average?

The balance currently is $19,000 and the settlement is for $7000.

Any advice??

I am trying to clean up my credit so I am able to apply for a mortgage in a few months

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does paying a Charge-Off actually help?? Advice please

In the long run yes this will help you. It's likely the lender is updating monthly that you've failed to pay which will keep you scores low. Once you settle they have to stop reporting and that will allow this account to stop reporting and then time will help your scores go up. To say how much this will help your scores is almost impossible. It depends on many other factors such as other negative accounts, balances etc. If you haven't paid yet it would be worth asking them if you settle if they'd remove from your CR. Some lenders refuse to do this but it's worth asking. If they agree then ask for this in writing before you settle.

Message 2 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@firemartinez1980 wrote:

I had an auto loan in 2016 and unfortunately due to unforseen circumstances, I wasn't able to make the payments. The vehicle was considered a chargeoff and now the lender is giving me a settlement offer.

The account on my credit report shows as "closed" and in the comments it states "Charge-off".....If I paid this settlement and the balance went to $0, would this help my credit? If so, how much on average?

The balance currently is $19,000 and the settlement is for $7000.

Any advice??

I am trying to clean up my credit so I am able to apply for a mortgage in a few months

If you're applying for a mortgage, you'll have to deal with it. There is no way around that. 

Also, with such a high amount owed, I'd be concerned with the possibility of litigation if it remains unresolved. 

Message 3 of 14
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Regardless of your scores, you will not be approved for a mortgage while the charged off account shows a balance.

So you need to handle it, one way or another. Since the account isn't going to fall off your report on its own until at least 2023, settling it for the offered $7,000 is probably your best bet. You may also be able to work out an installment plan with them to make it easier, such as $583/mo for 12 months, but be aware that your score won't improve much until after the final installment payment. Another option is to get a personal loan so you can pay it off in one lump sum, but the APR on that loan is probably going to be 25% or more (maybe way more), so that's not the best option if you can avoid it.

Whichever way you decide to pay the account, don't forget to ask them to agree to remove the account from your reports after they get paid. They might or might not oblige, but it's always worth asking. You should be able to qualify for your mortgage whether they delete that account or not, but your scores would be better if they do.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 4 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If the settlement doesnt have an expiration date before your planned mortgage app and its NOT currently updating monthly I would not settle till mortgage pulls are run then do so quickly and in full *the 7K*.

Message 5 of 14
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

But isn't the mortgage app pretty much doomed to certain failure with an unpaid chargeoff on the reports? I can't imagine an underwriter would ever look past that.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 6 of 14
firemartinez1980
Regular Contributor

Should you remove old Charge-offs that are paid??

I had 4 "Charge-Offs" on credit cards that I paid off, but they still show as a "Negative" on my credit reports, they just now show a $0 balance.

Since these are all now Paid, could I ask for them to be deleted? Would it help my score? If so, what's the best route to take on this?

I am getting ready to apply for a VA Loan soon and the last thing I need is all these "Negatives" showing up even though they are paid now

Any advice?????

Message 7 of 14
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Re: Should you remove old Charge-offs that are paid??

i could be mistaken but, they could remain, just showing as paid.

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

They’re still hurting and if they can be removed, it would be to OP’s benefit. When they’re paid they stop updating, and scores can begin to recover, but getting them outta there will be a definite positive.
Message 9 of 14
firemartinez1980
Regular Contributor

Would it be best to email the companies, Send them a letter in the mail or would a dispute work?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.