cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does state tax garnishment reage credit debt first date of delinquency if non-voluntary?

tag
Knice86
Valued Member

Does state tax garnishment reage credit debt first date of delinquency if non-voluntary?

I defaulted on a NJ student loan (HESSA), this is not a federal loan and is at the state level.  The loan was for under $5000.  Since this is not a federal loan, it should fall off my credit reports in 7 years.  Their recourse for non-payment was to garnish my state tax refunds which has amounted to them getting $50 once per year via my state tax refund.  I have never made a voluntary payment and these garnishments by no means bring my account current but I wonder if this annual payment somehow reages the first date of delinquency (nearly 7 years ago) as it relates to this debt falling off my credit report.  I have no public records on any of my credit reports and HESSA being a state agency has some magic way of garnishing state tax returns without actually suing you which is probably agreed to in their terms and conditions of loan dispursement.  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Does state tax garnishment reage credit debt first date of delinquency if non-voluntary?

Welcome to the forums! Its just like what the IRS does with back taxes they hold your refund. From HESSA's webpage:

"Borrowers who make nine, consecutive, voluntary, regular payments within a ten month period are eligible to have their defaulted student loans rehabilitated, which means the defaulted loan is sold to an eligible lender, the default credit entry on their credit report is removed, the loan is reinstated and the borrower becomes eligible for additional Title IV aid, deferments and forbearances. Collection costs are capped at 16% at the time the defaulted student loans are sold."

See if this can help you out. Not a bad deal it appears. but I'm no NJ SL expert.

https://www.hesaa.org/Pages/DefaultedFederalStudentLoans.aspx 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.