cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the "High Balance" portion of your EQ CR impact scoring?

tag
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Does the "High Balance" portion of your EQ CR impact scoring?

So here is my question.

I am a month out of bankruptcy and obtained a Credit One card with a measly $500 limit. I am putting everything on it and paying it off every few weeks.

I am not worried about the utilization piece night now to boost my score and I not planning on applying for anything else for a while now.

I noticed when my second statement cut, and pulled an EQ report, there is a section that shows how high the balance got. If, when I go to apply for a loan/CC and get my utilization down to <9%, will the fact that this section shows it was once higher impact my score?
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
denver133
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does the "High Balance" portion of your EQ CR impact scoring?

I can't help you with the "High Balance" piece.  I have always wondered if that was a big deal or not.  

I am curious as to why would you use this card for all your purchases?  Why not charge one thing of ~$35-$40 only?  That leaves you in the 1-9% uti zone and gives you the best bump.  Why chance having your full balance report?  The reason I say this is because I had it happen to me when I started my rebuiild.

I was using my US bank secured card to show but missed the payoff and a balance of $485/500 hit my report.  Killed my score.  Just saying, be careful with that.   

My Cards: CSP: $5,000 // Hyatt: $5,000 // Cap1 Venture: $5,000 // US Bank Plat: $3,500 // Discover: $1,000 // AMEX BCE: $1,000 // Lowes: $5,500 // Furniture Row: $3,500 // Buckle Store Card: $750

Current MyFico Scores: EX 687 EQ 696 TU 687 Gardening from 5/15 till 5/16

Message 2 of 5
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I just want to establish a good usage and payment history. I'm not worried about my utilization right now affecting my score because for the next year or so I'm not applying for anything else. Like I said, I pay on it every two weeks so it's always paid in full, but yeah. When I go for a loan or house, I'll drop it so it only reports less than 9% to maximize the score.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The high balance line is not something that FICO really looks at. Sometimes it is substituted as the CL if a CL is not reported (Think charge cards here)

Message 4 of 5
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

That makes perfect sense. Thank you!
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.