Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this matter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does this matter?

This is from my wife's report. Actually there are two just like this from Fairfax county on her report. It was a few years ago and she said it was the county's mistake (which I doubt) They're no other collection's on the report even though it says someone was hired. Does she DV this or will it awake someone? Portfolio Recovery Ass. has been chasing her for some reason for years and maybe this is the reason. Still learning things and preparing to buy a house in 10 months or so. Her score is 704 so maybe it isn't hurting too bad? Thanks all!

Collection on debt to: Fairfax County

The collection agency "155YC191xx" was hired to collect a debt of $34 originally owed to "Fairfax County" on account number "XXXXXXXX".

Collection agency [?] Original balance [?] Current balance [?] Date assigned [?] Original lender [?] Account number [?] Account holder [?] Account descriptions [?]

155YC19129
$34
$0
Jan, 2005
Fairfax County
XXXXXXXX
Individual

Returned check

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Does this matter?

Before contacting Fairfax County, can you go back through old bank records and see if any checks bounced in 01/2005?

If not, then I would recommend paying off Fairfax County asap.   From what I have heard, they have long memories....

Message 2 of 22
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I maybe wrong but it looks like this debt was paid.

Does the current balance say $0?

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

I maybe wrong but it looks like this debt was paid.

Does the current balance say $0?

Yes it says 0. Is this because it was turned over to collections though? Regardless if paid or not it can't be helping her credit, right? How can it be removed without a collection agency coming out the woodwork?

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IOBA wrote:

Before contacting Fairfax County, can you go back through old bank records and see if any checks bounced in 01/2005?

If not, then I would recommend paying off Fairfax County asap.   From what I have heard, they have long memories...

It shows as paid on the CR. No go on the old bank records too as we were only dating at the time and those accounts are long gone.

Message 5 of 22
mauve
Valued Contributor

It's paid, why are you worried about a CA?  You can GW it or ignore it.  It shouldn't prevent you from getting a house.  I'm more concerned that you don't believe your wife (or that she's giving you cause to not believe her)

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mauve wrote:

It's paid, why are you worried about a CA?  You can GW it or ignore it.  It shouldn't prevent you from getting a house.  I'm more concerned that you don't believe your wife (or that she's giving you cause to not believe her)

Okay I will search for some GW examples. I was concerned about CA because Portfolio Recovery has been chasing her for years from some 300 debt and it was showing on her CR at one time. She just got a letter from them on Saturday in fact. I'm sure the SOL has expired on that debt they are chasing because they had our number years ago and were calling, she told them the SOL had expired, and they threatened to refresh the debt every month till she paid. I just don't want to deal with them since they are not on her CR anymore and want no reason for them to get back on there. As far as believing my wife, she really had no idea about the importance of bills and debt until we got together. Struggling single moms have priorities in life and worrying about a bounced check apparently wasn't one of them. To sum it up she was not fiscally responsible, but appreciate your concern.

Message 7 of 22
mauve
Valued Contributor

So it sounds like it's more of a "we don't have paperwork for this, she may be mistaken" situation than a "she's not upfront about this" situation.  That's better.

In any case, if PR is still harrassing her, I'd send them a C&D letter, especially if you're positive it's past the credit reporting time period. 

If she hasn't already, ask her to opt out at optoutprescreen.com

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mauve wrote:

So it sounds like it's more of a "we don't have paperwork for this, she may be mistaken" situation than a "she's not upfront about this" situation.  That's better.

In any case, if PR is still harrassing her, I'd send them a C&D letter, especially if you're positive it's past the credit reporting time period. 

If she hasn't already, ask her to opt out at optoutprescreen.com

Yes, we both have opted out already, thanks to this forum! I'm not positive it is past reporting time limits but I know it is out of SOL. 7 years for collections reporting right?

Message 9 of 22
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I agree with mauve, Send a C&D letter if you know its passed your states SOL.

Collections drop from a CR  anywhere from 7 to 7.5 yrs.IME,

I've had some  collections to drop off early, by just a few months.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.