cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this "trick" work with CA's?

tag
noMoreApathy

Does this "trick" work with CA's?

Opt Out old addresses on the CRA's, then dispute the address with the CA and they have to delete it?  I found this post below and wanted to know the validity.

"You are asking the CRAs ( credit reporting agencies) to delete old or incorrect addresses. This helps in disputing because if your old address isn't on your reports the reporting CA can not "match" the entry and the account is easily deleted."

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Does this "trick" work with CA's?

No, probably not.

Many times the CRAs won't delete old addresses because it was reported by a creditor. 

Message 2 of 5
Oyiwaa
Regular Contributor

Maybe with TU & EQ but certainly not with EX. YMMV.  At the very least, try and deal with the CA through validation / direct dispute means.
  /Oy

Message 3 of 5
noMoreApathy

Thank you for your responses.

I did not see it was a popular approach on this forum, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I am getting very confused on how many ca's I really have... I know I have one, it is a medical CA and see the HIPAA approach was used in the past but now it's best to use the PDF approach, this true?

EX does not show DOFD but says Date Opened: 03/2011, EQ says DOFD 11/2010, TU says Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 10/2017.  I am scared to stir this one up, it's not that much $195, but I am not sure whether it is close to the SOL (3 years in Alabama?).

Should I start a new post or ask here if someone can help me follow my Best Buy CC mess?  Getting confused on my CA's and CO's!  Not just Best Buy Smiley Sad  None of my reports seem to match (to me that is).  Should I copy and paste all of the OC and CA info for Best Buy?

Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Nope, won't work.  Plus all they have to do is update and it throws the old address right back on your CR.  Opting out does not prevent a CA from pulling your CR or from posting to it.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.