cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Know Where To Start...

tag
B_tothe_C

Don't Know Where To Start...

I will try to simplify this as much as possible, it's all very embarrassing. I'm a single mom with two young kids, and I am the sole provider. I went through a tough divorce in 2018 and due to my ex not keeping up his end of the bargain on support, alimony and child. I had a lot of accounts that were charged off/gone to collections. In the beginning of December, we lost our home and all our belongings to a fire. I now realize I have been barely scraping by but I have to find a way to rebuild our lives. I need credit to do that. I will have to start chipping away at the debt. I have 6 accounts that are charged off for a total $9300. I have 11 accounts in collections totaling around $10,000. All original deliquencies occurred between July and October of 2018. I am unsure if I should settle what I can? If so, do I settle the charge offs or the collections? Are some so old that they don't matter? My credit score is 565, and I need to find a way to get it to 620 as soon as possible. I have some donations that people have sent us, and I want to make sure I use it the best way possible. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Don't Know Where To Start...

@B_tothe_C wrote:

I will try to simplify this as much as possible, it's all very embarrassing. I'm a single mom with two young kids, and I am the sole provider. I went through a tough divorce in 2018 and due to my ex not keeping up his end of the bargain on support, alimony and child. I had a lot of accounts that were charged off/gone to collections. In the beginning of December, we lost our home and all our belongings to a fire. I now realize I have been barely scraping by but I have to find a way to rebuild our lives. I need credit to do that. I will have to start chipping away at the debt. I have 6 accounts that are charged off for a total $9300. I have 11 accounts in collections totaling around $10,000. All original deliquencies occurred between July and October of 2018. I am unsure if I should settle what I can? If so, do I settle the charge offs or the collections? Are some so old that they don't matter? My credit score is 565, and I need to find a way to get it to 620 as soon as possible. I have some donations that people have sent us, and I want to make sure I use it the best way possible. Thanks in advance. 

Grab your three credit reports: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/ 

List out your accounts: Creditor Name/Credit Line/Balance/ APR/ Status ex: charge off, closed, ect. Lastly DoFD.

Figure out how much money you have (after putting away $1000 for emergencies) and remaining current on everything you're current on + essentials and see how close you can get to settling/deleting all of these accounts.

The goal will be to settle with anybody who will delete their entries on your credit PFD (pay for delete) and then getting the rest of the accounts to show a $0 balance by paying or settling in full. This should improve your credit if you're able to get all of those balances to $0. 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 9
Singledadof3
New Contributor

@B_tothe_C wrote:

First of all you have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Quite the opposite.  Going through a divorce is difficult enough, life changing. But to endure a fire as well, ugh.  Be proud of what you've been through and accomplished.  And know that you've come to the right place for help. The people here are amazing and I'm personally so grateful to have found it.

As always, @GZG comes through with awesome advice. If you'd like more detailed help with a plan forward, list out the things he mentioned here and I'm sure someone, probably @FireMedic1, will be along shortly to help. 

Current FICO8 Scores

Message 3 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Welcome @B_tothe_C 

Sorry about the multiple hardballs thrown at ya. Especially the fire. Know that all too well. Getting new credit isnt the answer right at this moment. Getting the CO's settled will help the most. Points and all. $0 balance CO's no longer are used in your aggregate util %'s any longer. CA's being paid does nothing to a score. But need to know who they are. You may have some that PFD. Once all the CO's and hopefully all the CA's are ones who PFD dissapear. Then the score rises. May be enough to get you to that point. New credit will only ding for new accounts and so forth. Fix whats broken first. So heres the homework. List out the baddies:

Creditor/ Credit Line/ Balance Owed/ CO/ DoFD

Collection Agency/Balance.

It appears your past the SOL with 2018. Just to be sure. What state do you reside in? It can be done. Take a little time.

Message 4 of 9
JasonK94Z
Valued Member

Did you have insurance to cover replacement of your belongings in the fire?

Message 5 of 9
B_tothe_C

Sorry, I am just getting back to you. Things have been hectic. I wish I would have seen this post sooner, because I am afraid I started with the collection accounts before the charge off's. Mainly because the amounts were less. I had 11 total, and I was able to get all of them removed except 2, but those are at least showing a zero balance. I have 4 accounts that are charged off. Is it your recommendation that I now tackle the charge offs? Will creditors remove charge offs from credit reports if they are paid? This is overwhelming, but I must admit, there is some sense of peace taking care of them. I already feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I appreciate everyone's responses, feedback, and time. 

Message 6 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Whats done is done and its for the good. C-Ya CA's! Theres no score changes with CA's. So now start tackling the CO's. They go against your overall util %'s. Or as a maxed out card on each account. Once all the CO's are settled or paid. No more util hits. Just the CO ding. No they wont PFD CO's. They'll fall off 7 yrs from the first 30 day late on your reports that led to the CO status. Theres your next mission. Util is a bigger killer of scores than a CA will ever be. Please keep us updated as each one is done. Any score changes as they fall one by one. You got this. If we were all perfect credit. Why have a Rebuilding Your Credit Sub-Forum right? We've been there, learned, and pass it on!

Message 7 of 9
B_tothe_C

Thank you so much! I will say my Equifax has increased by 27 points, TransUnion by 16, and Experian a mere 7 over the last 7 days, so I'll take it! Those changes are with 8 late payments being removed for student loans (because I technically had four different student loan accounts), and the removal of 4 of the collections accounts already. It's a beast, but I know it will be worth it. I will keep you posted and thanks so much for the help! 

Message 8 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@B_tothe_C 

Please do. It helps others. They may not join, but lurkers outnumber us. Members will learn each step as you go. And of course curiosity kills the cat. We wanna know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get Em!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.