Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate medical collection?

tag
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

Duplicate medical collection?

Boyfriend just got a scorewatch alert that a new collection was listed on his report. I logged in to check and see what it was and it's a medical one, butttttt it's already on his fico report. Here is what the new one looks like:

New collection on debt by:  AWA COLLECTIONS
Reported: 12/1/2012
Show/Hide Details
In 7/1/2012, the collection agency AWA COLLECTIONS was hired by creditor Not Reported to collect $330 in debts on account number XXXXXX9426.
Original balance:$330Agency name:AWA COLLECTIONS
Current balance:$363Agency number:180YC04708
Status (as of 12/1/2012) :UNPAIDAgency industry:Not Reported
First delinquency:4/1/2011Original creditor:180YC04708
Last payment:Not on Record  
Description:Medical

and this is what the one that is already on his report looks like :

The collection agency "180YC00000" was hired to collect a debt of $330 on account number "XXXXXX9426".

Collection agency

180YC00000

Original balance

$330

Current balance

$359

Date assigned

Jul, 2012

Account number

XXXXXX9426

Account holder

Individual

Account descriptions

Medical

Is that a violation and is something that a dispute with the CRA's will fix?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Duplicate medical collection?

It could be the same. The account numbers support that. I also noticed that AWA just reported within the past week. It's possible that the other CA is in the middle of updating (e.g.. deleting). I'd start by pulling all 3 reports directly from the CRAs before deciding what to do. 

Message 2 of 5
eastexascout
Regular Contributor

I had something simliar happen to me a year ago.  Called the CA and it was a mess up on their part. 

May want to check with them after you pull CR's....

"just trying to get my credit up..."
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is not improper if it is a different debt collector.

Debt collectors are required under FDCPA 809(a) to send formal collection notice when they have an initial communication with the consumer, which includes reporting to your credit file.  The primary purpose of the requirement for dunning notice is to prevent consumers from being in the postion he now finds himself..... a debt collector conducting collection activity without the consumer being able to promptly take action, such as sending a DV request.

The apparent violation, at least at this point, is the failure to identify themselves via dunning notice, thus giving you the needed infromation to determine whether it is duplicate reporting.  I suggest calling the CRA, explain lack of dunning notice, and thus the need for their communication address.  Hopefully, they will provide it informally.

Message 4 of 5
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

thanks guys! He stil hasn't gotten anything form AWA yet. I'm gonna pull his later tonight and see what it says

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.