Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQ EE → 4 Months Early

tag
thornback
Senior Contributor

EQ EE → 4 Months Early

It is possible to have success with an Early Exclusion from EQ earlier than 1 month from the drop off date.

I had a Fingerhut charge-off  with a DOFD of 8/2011 that only reported to TU and EQ.   Transunion granted an EE in February via an online dispute request with "too old to be reported" as the reason (I used Credit Karma to dispute because they still offer that dispute reason code, TU does not).  It was deleted within 36 hours. 

EQ disputes don't offer a "too old" reason; and I didn't want them to dispute the account with the OC.  I tried calling in a request but, no dice - was told to try again in July.   So, on Feb. 3rd,  I mailed them a very nice letter.  I asked them to grant the deletion in good faith since the account was so old and hadn't been updated by the OC since 2012.    I made it very clear that I was not disputing the account.    

Of course,  EQ being EQ,  they opened a dispute.  They reached out to the OC.  They took 28 days to complete the "investigation".  The result of the investigation was a confirmation of the 8/2011 DOFD.  ughhh.   They also updated the tradeline -  oddly, the update consisted of removing certain information - such as the credit limit, monthly payment history, and amount charged off.   I ended up getting a 9 point score increase from this - so I left it alone.   My thought was that, perhaps, this was some sort of weird compromise with my request; they didn't remove because it was too soon -- but they excluded some of the account information from scoring.   I figured I'd just wait til June / July to request an EE again.  

Well --  today, my reports updated on CK -- and there has been a change to my EQ - Fingerhut has been removed Smiley Surprised.   I also double checked using EQs TrustedID and yep, gone.   So, it looks like they not only excluded some account information after my dispute, but they also changed the drop off date from August to April (there was no alert for the removal so it appears this was a "natural" drop off).   4 Months early.   I won't know how my EQ FICO has responded to this deletion for another 4 days when my 3B updates  (CK +12).   EQ may end up being my highest score afterall -- it has a longer credit age due to an AU account that appears on it and not the others. 

Now, on all 3 reports,  the only negative is the 4.8 year old paid charge off from First Premier and I've tried everything to get it removed but I'm all out of dispute reasons - looks like I'm just going to have to ride this one out till late-2020 when it becomes eligible for EEs  (DOFD 2/2014).

Anyway,  just thought I'd post this for anyone within ~5 months of a derog drop off for EQ.  Try mailing a nice letter -- you may end up with a 4 month early removal.

4/8/2018 UPDATE:  EQ +72   (699 → 771)  Smiley LOL

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: EQ EE → 4 Months Early

Good info, thx
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for posting this. I have a charge off due to come off in July, and It's already deleted from EX and TU . I've called and they refused to grant EE, haven't tried disputing though. I will write the letter when I get home today. Would you please pm me the address you used? Thanks sooo much! And congrats, great news!
Message 3 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for posting this. I have a charge off due to come off in July, and It's already deleted from EX and TU . I've called and they refused to grant EE, haven't tried disputing though. I will write the letter when I get home today. Would you please pm me the address you used? Thanks sooo much! And congrats, great news!

No need to PM the address, it's the standard, public address for EQ disputes by mail: 

EQUIFAX, INC
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374-0256

My letter included the account name, account number as it appeared on my credit report, my full name, current and previous addresses on file,  DOB, and the last four of my social.  I also included my email for correspondence (was notified via email when the dispute was opened and resolved).  I did not include copies of ID.

Keep it short; no need to write a story.  My letter: 

Full Name

Street Address

City / State / ZIP 

Phone

Email

Date

EQUIFAX, INC
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374-0256

RE:        Early Exclusion Request

Account Name: *

Account Number: *

To Whom It May Concern: 

Please Note: I am not disputing the validity of this account, nor any information reported in its regard.   

I am humbly requesting EQUIFAX grant an Early Exclusion of above referenced item from my credit report for the following reason:

• The account is too old to be reported.

Thank you, in advance, for your time and attention to this matter.  I look forward to a gracious decision.

Correspondence may be mailed or emailed to the addresses noted above.

Sincerely,

Name

Last four of SSN

DOB

Current Address

Previous Address

Good Luck!! 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds perfect! Short and sweet. Smiley Happy let us know what yourfico says when it updates!
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats,     I had a Santander Auto loan that I've tried getting EQ to remove early for months and they wouldn't budge.....  Talked to several different supervisors....   NADA....   It finally fell off exactly 1 month prior to the listed fall off date all by itself.....  EQ is a bear.

Message 6 of 8
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Thank you for posting the story and letter! I look forward to trying this approach.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I sent letter off April 15th, just 2 weeks ago. May 2nd I received an alert that the charge was deleted. 2months early! I honestly am not sure if it was the letter or not, I doubt it because I have yet to receive anything from EQ. I'm absolutely sure they would have opened a dispute first. It fell off like it was a 'natural' thing. Anyway, it's gone and that's what matters. Cheers!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.