Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQ FICO Score dropped 18 points after disputing collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ FICO Score dropped 18 points after disputing collection

I've been trying to dispute a PGE collection from 6/07 that I never received (moved-out and bill never forwarded to new address).  I found out the outstanding $45 had gone to collection (never received collection notice) only when I wanted to restart service with PG&E in May 09.  At that time CS told me that if I PIF then collection would be deleted from CRA.   DIdn't think twice, paid in full, but unfortunately didn't check if collection was deleted until January 2010, which it wasn't.  Called OC 4-5 times, each CS person ruder than the next. One actually hung up on me. On May 5, my EQ Fico score was 668.  Called EQ to dispute over phone after first dispute came back info verified saying info should have been deleted per verbal agreement. On May 10, dispute results came back, info verified and score dropped 18 points to 650. Scorewatch said score dropped because collection too recent (one month).  Called EQ CS again and asked to talk to supervisor (from oversees with hardly understandable accent) and she said that the collection shows a new late payment on same account.   I asked how could this be if the full amount was paid in May 09 and there can't be a late payment on a zero balance.  She said all she could do was submit a new dispute. Dispute results came back today with account history showing collection status open as of April 2010.  Called PGE collections dept. and they said no new late payments but they can't change how EQ is reporting.
Asked to talk to PGE supervisor, had to leave VM and he never called back.  Now I can't even talk to a first-line CS because supervisor has to "call me back."  The report does not show DOLA but DOFD is 6/07 and balance $0.  Please help.  Should I send letter to OC or EQ? PIF so no leverage with OC.  EQ is using date of dispute report as new late payment.  Absolutely nothing else has changes so this has dropped my score 18 points. This is hell.

5/6: EQ 668 TU 671 EX 685

5/10" EQ 650 TU 671 EX 694 (EX 4 inquiries fell off) 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: EQ FICO Score dropped 18 points after disputing collection

Welcome to the forums, Jamie93!

Since your question is about fixing a credit problem, I'm moving your thread to the Rebuilding Your Credit Forum. Good Luck!!!

Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, to confirm, it is the OC that is reporting, right?

Message 3 of 7
mauve
Valued Contributor

Also, you have a current account with OC, don't you?  I don't know what PG&E is - is it a utility that you can't avoid?  I.e., as a current customer, is there a possibility you could change providers?  And if so, there's your leverage.  

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@mauve wrote:

Also, you have a current account with OC, don't you?  I don't know what PG&E is - is it a utility that you can't avoid?  I.e., as a current customer, is there a possibility you could change providers?  And if so, there's your leverage.  

It is a gas and electric company so probably no way to change service.

I am thinking that when you disputed the account, it was updated and it looked like a new collection.  Paid or not this happens.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

so for all those people on this forum disputing collections, a paid off collection can be updated as new and your score drops 18 points?  Is there anything I can do?  I'm trying to get a PLUS loan (student loan for my son's college) and I can't have any "adverse credit history" and now things are worse after disputing the PGE account because it now shows as a new delinquency.

I'm thinking of sending a GW letter to PGE but don't know where to send it.  Don't want to send it to the collections department because I seriously doubt that it would do any good.  Should I complain to the FCC since the OC is not fixing incorrect information/Equifax is not reading the information correctly?  I talked to an Equifax supervisor this week and she agreed that the information does not make sense because how can you be late on a zero balance but she said all Equifax does is report the information given to them by creditors and only PGE, the OC, can fix this.   

Has anyone been in this kind of situation?  Any suggestions?

Message 6 of 7
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@mauve wrote:

It is a gas and electric company so probably no way to change service.

I am thinking that when you disputed the account, it was updated and it looked like a new collection.  Paid or not this happens.

Even though they 'updated' the dispute, the DOFD still stands and it still falls off the report on the 7year date from DOFD right? And when the dispute is settled 'or not' after the 30 day investigation time frame does the score go back up?

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.