cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Exclusion Success but massive point drop.

Unfaithful
Contributor

Early Exclusion Success but massive point drop.

 

Hey all, I had several degros that were set to fall off next month and some in September, November and December. I called Transunion and after 2 calls found a supervisor that got them all removed. I did the same with Experian and to my surprise the CSR said he removed all derog accounts even the ones that were set to fall in December and November but couldn’t remove the one that was due to fall of in September. I didn’t ask why but I was so shocked that he went ahead and removed the ones from November and December without me even asking! I was certain my score would go up significantly and to my surprise, it was the opposite! To my surprise, again, I get an alert the next day that my Experian Fico score dropped 28 points. Went from 672 to 644. I have a paid membership with Experian and there’s a section that says “see what changed” and everything listed says “could help” as a result from the derogs being removed. There’s nothing listed in the “could harm” section. Is it because of age of the account? I still have that one last derog that set to fall off in September. I also have one 30 late, paid and closed account from 2018. Im doing AZEO, so all my accounts are paid in full except one account that has a very small balance. Any reason as to the 28 point drop?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
LaHossBoss
Valued Contributor

Re: Early Exclusion Success but massive point drop.


@Unfaithful wrote:

 

Hey all, I had several degros that were set to fall off next month and some in September, November and December. I called Transunion and after 2 calls found a supervisor that got them all removed. I did the same with Experian and to my surprise the CSR said he removed all derog accounts even the ones that were set to fall in December and November but couldn’t remove the one that was due to fall of in September. I didn’t ask why but I was so shocked that he went ahead and removed the ones from November and December without me even asking! I was certain my score would go up significantly and to my surprise, it was the opposite! To my surprise, again, I get an alert the next day that my Experian Fico score dropped 28 points. Went from 672 to 644. I have a paid membership with Experian and there’s a section that says “see what changed” and everything listed says “could help” as a result from the derogs being removed. There’s nothing listed in the “could harm” section. Is it because of age of the account? I still have that one last derog that set to fall off in September. I also have one 30 late, paid and closed account from 2018. Im doing AZEO, so all my accounts are paid in full except one account that has a very small balance. Any reason as to the 28 point drop?


If they were COs and not CAs, then they impact your AAoA. It sounds like you had several removed, so that can definitely impact your scores negatively. Did they have $0 balance or some sort of balance reporting? What types of accounts were these, exactly? Do you have other positive open and/or closed accounts to boost your age of accounts? Especially for the one remaining derog on EX, is it a CO or a CA? Until the last CA and/or CO is removed, you will not see a large score bump. We would need lots more info.




Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 550 | TU 498 | EX 505
Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 651] [F9 645] [EQ5 678] [VS3 630] | TU [F8 713] [F9 684] [TU4 721] [VS3 639] | EX [F8 640] [F9 651] [EX2 655] [VS3 625]
Goal Score: 670 [X] TU


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

SO Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 502 | TU 484 | EX 521
SO Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 661] [F9 620] [EQ5 677] [VS3 627] | TU [F8 684] [F9 658] [TU4 639] [VS3 625] [VS4 666] | EX [F8 712] [F9 684] [EX2 669] [VS3 642]
Goal Score: 670 [X] TU [X] EX


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge



Message 2 of 12
Unfaithful
Contributor

Re: Early Exclusion Success but massive point drop.

Sorry about that, It was a mixture accounts with lots of lates and some CO. All had 0 balance. They were all credit card accounts. The one remaining is a CO credit card account. As of now I have about 20 accounts,  some loans and credit cards. All positive. 

Message 3 of 12
LaHossBoss
Valued Contributor

Re: Early Exclusion Success but massive point drop.


@Unfaithful wrote:

Sorry about that, It was a mixture accounts with lots of lates and some CO. All had 0 balance. They were all credit card accounts. The one remaining is a CO credit card account. As of now I have about 20 accounts,  some loans and credit cards. All positive. 


Of the 20 accounts, were any opend around or before the derogatory ones or only afterwards?

 

Yeah, you aren't improving revolving utilization with $0 balances being removed, you already got those points back, and until the last CO comes off, you will not see a bump. So you likely have 20 accounts that are all or mostly newer and/or at a minumum all the old COs coming off lowered your AAoA and probably your age of oldest revolver, so you lost points.

 

When my last/only CO came off TU, I got a boost of +70pt. I still have possibly several 120d lates (odd, I know, but hard to explain or even understand myself) and 3 x CAs, but it still brought me up nicely to 716 from 646. Not to say that is a reflection on your potential score gain when the last CO is removed. The account was opened in 2013 and I have multiple accounts well older than that, so it did not impact my AAoA negatively, rather it even improved it further when it was removed.

 

Most derog removals for me resulted in little to zero score gain while other derogs were present, unless they were high $. $0 derogs got +0 pts.

 

For my SO when all of his derog SLs were removed, he lost points since it lowered his AAoA greatly, and he still has 1-2 x COs (depending on bureau) and 1 x CA (EQ only) reporting. I do not think he will be gaining any points since his profile still looks young (FedLoan removed defaulted SLs, but have refused to add the now positive ones until Cares Act forebearance ends), so until those finally report and his last CO ages off (which has a high $ balance) we are at a bit of a standstill, score-wise.

 

At least yours is not much longer of a wait!




Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 550 | TU 498 | EX 505
Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 651] [F9 645] [EQ5 678] [VS3 630] | TU [F8 713] [F9 684] [TU4 721] [VS3 639] | EX [F8 640] [F9 651] [EX2 655] [VS3 625]
Goal Score: 670 [X] TU


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

SO Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 502 | TU 484 | EX 521
SO Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 661] [F9 620] [EQ5 677] [VS3 627] | TU [F8 684] [F9 658] [TU4 639] [VS3 625] [VS4 666] | EX [F8 712] [F9 684] [EX2 669] [VS3 642]
Goal Score: 670 [X] TU [X] EX


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge



Message 4 of 12
Unfaithful
Contributor

Re: Early Exclusion Success but massive point drop.

Gotcha, makes sense! I did open many accounts after that CO. I did notice my AAoA was 4 years and 10 months and now it's 4 years and 4 months. I guess that 6 month difference made a huge difference score wise. I was also really

shocked that Experian CSR removed an account that was due to to fall off in December but couldn't remove the one set to fall off in September. Really baffling!

Message 5 of 12
gdale6
Moderator

Re: Early Exclusion Success but massive point drop.


@Unfaithful wrote:

Gotcha, makes sense! I did open many accounts after that CO. I did notice my AAoA was 4 years and 10 months and now it's 4 years and 4 months. I guess that 6 month difference made a huge difference score wise. I was also really

shocked that Experian CSR removed an account that was due to to fall off in December but couldn't remove the one set to fall off in September. Really baffling!


Its not because of AAoA that is only 15% of Fico score while payment history is 35%. It lies elsewhere look and see what else changed.

Message 6 of 12
Unfaithful
Contributor

Re: Early Exclusion Success but massive point drop.

Do you think it's that one 30 day late from 2018? It was an installment loan. The account has since been paid and closed. 

Message 7 of 12
LaHossBoss
Valued Contributor

Re: Early Exclusion Success but massive point drop.


@gdale6 wrote:

@Unfaithful wrote:

Gotcha, makes sense! I did open many accounts after that CO. I did notice my AAoA was 4 years and 10 months and now it's 4 years and 4 months. I guess that 6 month difference made a huge difference score wise. I was also really

shocked that Experian CSR removed an account that was due to to fall off in December but couldn't remove the one set to fall off in September. Really baffling!


Its not because of AAoA that is only 15% of Fico score while payment history is 35%. It lies elsewhere look and see what else changed.


My SO did see over 40 points drop when his derogs aged off and his AAoA plummeted. It is definitely possible if it is drastic enough. 15% of 500 possible points is 75 points. Plenty of room for big swings if there is enough change to warrant it.




Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 550 | TU 498 | EX 505
Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 651] [F9 645] [EQ5 678] [VS3 630] | TU [F8 713] [F9 684] [TU4 721] [VS3 639] | EX [F8 640] [F9 651] [EX2 655] [VS3 625]
Goal Score: 670 [X] TU


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

SO Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 502 | TU 484 | EX 521
SO Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 661] [F9 620] [EQ5 677] [VS3 627] | TU [F8 684] [F9 658] [TU4 639] [VS3 625] [VS4 666] | EX [F8 712] [F9 684] [EX2 669] [VS3 642]
Goal Score: 670 [X] TU [X] EX


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge



Message 8 of 12
Birdman7
Super Contributor

Re: Early Exclusion Success but massive point drop.


@LaHossBoss wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@Unfaithful wrote:

Gotcha, makes sense! I did open many accounts after that CO. I did notice my AAoA was 4 years and 10 months and now it's 4 years and 4 months. I guess that 6 month difference made a huge difference score wise. I was also really

shocked that Experian CSR removed an account that was due to to fall off in December but couldn't remove the one set to fall off in September. Really baffling!


Its not because of AAoA that is only 15% of Fico score while payment history is 35%. It lies elsewhere look and see what else changed.


My SO did see over 40 points drop when his derogs aged off and his AAoA plummeted. It is definitely possible if it is drastic enough. 15% of 500 possible points is 75 points. Plenty of room for big swings if there is enough change to warrant it.


15% of 550 which is 82.5 points.  

-Community’s scoring wisdom: Scoring Primer.
-New: MORTGAGE SECTION.
-Negative Reason Codes: CassieCard’s Score Factors.
-Calculate metrics with ccquest’s Workbook.

Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Revolver - 8,9; Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Account - 5/4/2.
Correct Ag.Util. under 5% all times. (Oldest/avg varies. Estimates above.)
Real world mortgage maxes are: EQ5-818, TU4-839, EX2-844.





(Everything said is JMHO and is not endorsed by FICO or MF. I have no affiliation with either, just a grateful member.)
Message 9 of 12
Birdman7
Super Contributor

Re: Early Exclusion Success but massive point drop.

But remember it's not just AAOA, its AoORA, AAoRA, & loan age metrics too. And possibly other things

-Community’s scoring wisdom: Scoring Primer.
-New: MORTGAGE SECTION.
-Negative Reason Codes: CassieCard’s Score Factors.
-Calculate metrics with ccquest’s Workbook.

Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Revolver - 8,9; Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Account - 5/4/2.
Correct Ag.Util. under 5% all times. (Oldest/avg varies. Estimates above.)
Real world mortgage maxes are: EQ5-818, TU4-839, EX2-844.





(Everything said is JMHO and is not endorsed by FICO or MF. I have no affiliation with either, just a grateful member.)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.