Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early exclusion on late payment?

tag
sgomez1325
Established Member

Early exclusion on late payment?

Anyone had success with EX on an EE on late payment? I have an autoloan that has one late payment from March 2014, but a rep just told me those (late payments) do not get excluded early.

9 REPLIES 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Early exclusion on late payment?

The route you would take is a GW letter. Contact lender by mail, or email, ask if they can remove late. Dispute or EE isn't proper approach for the late. It's not improperly reporting.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

An EE is for removal of a derogatory ACCOUNT, rather than a derogatory event(s) within the account.

As posted above, you want to contact the lender.

Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is nothing improper in requesting an early exclusion of a late payment, and it can apply only to that item, and not to the entire account.

The late payment info is the adverse item of information that is subject to exclusion by the CRA under FCRA 605(a)(5), and not the entire account.  Yes, your request for early exclusion CAN, and in fact IS, applicable only to that information.

A request for early exclusion goes to the CRA, and is totally separate and apart from requests for good-will deletion of the late payment reporting, which goes to the creditor, and not the CRA.

You can pursue one, the other, or both.  It is not improper to seek an early exclusion of only a late payment.

Whether or not the CRA will grant is a different matter, and is totally at their discretion. 

While the one phone rep may have told you that early exclusion does not apply to late payment reporting, that is incorrect.  Try to get a different phone rep, or ask to speak to a supervisor.

You can also, should you choose, separately contact the creditor and seek their good-will deletion.

Of course, if the creditor grants a good-will deletion, then the issue of any early exclusion becomes moot, as it is no longer a reported adverse item of information in your credit report.

Message 4 of 10
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

There is nothing improper in requesting an early exclusion of a late payment, and it can apply only to that item, and not to the entire account.

The late payment info is the adverse item of information that is subject to exclusion by the CRA under FCRA 605(a)(5), and not the entire account.  Yes, your request for early exclusion CAN, and in fact IS, applicable only to that information.

A request for early exclusion goes to the CRA, and is totally separate and apart from requests for good-will deletion of the late payment reporting, which goes to the creditor, and not the CRA.

You can pursue one, the other, or both.  It is not improper to seek an early exclusion of only a late payment.

Whether or not the CRA will grant is a different matter, and is totally at their discretion. 

While the one phone rep may have told you that early exclusion does not apply to late payment reporting, that is incorrect.  Try to get a different phone rep, or ask to speak to a supervisor.

You can also, should you choose, separately contact the creditor as seek their good-will deletion.

Impressive answer I must remember to save in my ongoing credit education folder.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sgomez1325 wrote:

Anyone had success with EX on an EE on late payment? I have an autoloan that has one late payment from March 2014, but a rep just told me those (late payments) do not get excluded early.

CRAs do not EE late payments unless it is due to remove the entire derogatory tradeline.

If the account does not show "date of first delinquency" for EQ, "estimated date of removal" for TU, and/or "on record until" for EX, you will not get EE.

You also will not get EE for any lates that occurred before the string of lates that led to the demise of the account.

I have never seen any success othewise getting EE for a singular or string of late payment(s) on otherwise positive and/or open accounts.

GW request is the route to go to get a late removed, otherwise, it will age off likely in Feb (possibly Jan), which will probably happen much quicker than the GW request route, but if you need to apply for credit before Jam/Feb, you may as well give it a go!

Message 6 of 10
sgomez1325
Established Member

UPDATE: I was unsuccessful at getting a human to remove it. I did online dispute as "too old" and it was removed today. My score only went up 2 points, but at least that litte red mark that shows number of late payments is gone. That was my only one and now its gone. I have ZERO baddies of any kind on my reports.

Message 7 of 10
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@sgomez1325 wrote:

UPDATE: I was unsuccessful at getting a human to remove it. I did online dispute as "too old" and it was removed today. My score only went up 2 points, but at least that litte red mark that shows number of late payments is gone. That was my only one and now its gone. I have ZERO baddies of any kind on my reports.

@sgomez1325 Congratulations! Was the late payment always only on EX or did you have to get it removed from the other CRAs as well? Is this still an open and current account? 

Message 8 of 10
sgomez1325
Established Member

The other ones had already deleted it and no, not a current account. It was closed last year when I got a new car and closed out that auto loan 

Message 9 of 10
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@sgomez1325 wrote:

The other ones had already deleted it and no, not a current account. It was closed last year when I got a new car and closed out that auto loan 

@sgomez1325 Ok. Gotcha! Thanks. Congrats again! 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.