Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employment History not showing on report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Employment History not showing on report

I've been working the same job 10 years. But it's not showing up on my credit report. Is this important information to lenders? And how do I put my employment history on my report?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
trusty
Frequent Contributor

Re: Employment History not showing on report

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been working the same job 10 years. But it's not showing up on my credit report. Is this important information to lenders? And how do I put my employment history on my report?

In my experience, credit reports are not typically used for employment background purposes. However, I do believe that what you enter as employment - on your credit applications - eventually gets reported back to the credit bureaus, from some of those prospective creditors.

Each credit bureau will allow you to manually update your employment, as well. But, again... it's just a very small piece of one's credit report. Obviously, income is significant. But, the personal information section of credit reports are not necessarily taken at face value, as there are oftentimes errors here.

Ultimately, prospective lenders just want to know that your credit file is relatively consistent with your application. To wit: If you put, "Rocket Scientist," on a credit application; and yet, your credit report actually said, "Menial Janitor," it would likely arouse suspicion.

Conversely, if there's nothing listed there... that wouldn't necessarily cause the presumption of anything negative, either. Prospective lenders are looking at the overall picture. If your score is pushing 800, most lenders are going to give whatever stated employment have you, the benefit of doubt. Many creditors won't let superfluous personal information hold any sway over their decision making process.

Yet and still, other conservative underwriters will ask for income verification; but, that kind of decision made during a manual review would likely be made due to their underwriting guidelines - regardless of what is listed in the personal information section of one's credit report.

If you want to see what all has been reported about you... order your Lexis Nexis reports, as well as, The Work Number.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.