Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endgame

tag
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

Endgame

I'm almost four years into the rebuild, but I'm just shy of six years from when everything fell apart.

In that time I've gone from the 400-Club to the 700-Club, acquired $32,000 in revolving credit, and got a $21k used car loan at 3.5%/60 months. Clearly I'm doing it right, largely because of the great advice I've gotten here on the boards. Now it's time to go back to that wealth on knowledge once again.

I'm planning my endgame for the when and how on 37 derogatory items that piled up between 11/14 and 1/16 and I just want to confirm my strategy. Let me know if I have this right, and if my timing makes sense. 

Foreclosure (DoFD 3/14; actual FC sale 11/14)- This should drop in total 7-years from DoFD.

Student Loans 1&2 (DoFD 10/14, derogs go through 6/15 when brought current)- By my understanding, these will either fall off one at a time or in one shot depending on agency.

Student Loan 3 (DoFD 3/15, derogs go through 1/16 when brought current)- Same deal as Loans 1&2.

So planning for the endgame, I'm unsure of when I could attempt early exclusion on any of these, or even when I should attempt that. Your insight on it would be much appreciated since I've seen posts say three months prior to DoFD, some say six months, some say not to bother unless you plan to buy a house.

Thanks!

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Endgame

You can attempt EE with TU six months early. Call and ask for a supervisor. It usually goes without a problem

EX, you can ask three months early. They treat it as a dispute. It's a mixed bag. It works for some, but for others it went terribly wrong, so it would depend on what your risk tolerance is 

EQ, dont. 

Message 2 of 6
StillKicking
Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

You can attempt EE with TU six months early. Call and ask for a supervisor. It usually goes without a problem

EX, you can ask three months early. They treat it as a dispute. It's a mixed bag. It works for some, but for others it went terribly wrong, so it would depend on what your risk tolerance is 

EQ, dont. 

X2.

I did an EE with TU on my BK7 and it was a breeze. Made one call to EX (Was a no go) and decided it simply is not worth the hassle and risking my rebuild over three months. Especially after reading horror stories with EX. A couple weeks later EX removed it naturally (3 months early).

Never crossed my mind to mess with EQ.

Fico 8 Scores 10-19-20
Message 3 of 6
calyx
Super Contributor

EE with TU was easy as pie, +1 recommend 6 months out.
EE with EX went sideways with me.
EE with EQ:  I didn't even touch, because I'd already learned that stoves are hot.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 4 of 6
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

I’ve seen people say things went sideways with EX here and other threads, but I’m unsure what happened. Clearly the notion that “‘No’ is the worst that can happen.” was incorrect.

What did EX do that people prefer to do nothing?
1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 5 of 6
calyx
Super Contributor

@MasonK wrote:
I’ve seen people say things went sideways with EX here and other threads, but I’m unsure what happened. Clearly the notion that “‘No’ is the worst that can happen.” was incorrect.

What did EX do that people prefer to do nothing?

In my case, they didn't just say "no."    They did the usual dispute thing, and for whatever reason I cannot fathom, they reset the DOFD back by several months.   When I disputed *that* (that the new DOFD was wrong) I actually had to lobby the account holders to get them to contact EX to update to the correct DOFD.    Ultimately it worked out - one CA just straight up deleted my tradelines (bless them), the other sent a letter to EX and one to me with the correct (original) DOFD.    Then I just waited it out.  Way too much work - I literally got it straightened out a couple of weeks early from the original fall of date.    

This did not involve the "built in 3 month EE" that some people report with EX.   They were roughly the same DOFDs across the board.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.