cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax -124 Point Drop

tag
CBE86

Equifax -124 Point Drop

A Downward Turn In My Credit Building Journey..

I'm confused by my recent check of my Equifax Credit Report.

I have 1 old Charge Off from 5 years ago. The Only Negative. 

My score was low for awhile and I've built it back up since then into the 700's.

I had a credit card collection I paid for delete , I had a medical bill I negotiated myself for them to take off. I was lucky in those aspects and I felt a strong urge to continue to build from there. 

Last Year in March , I got a secured card through Discover with $1000 deposit  , which I always pay in full each month. I graduated in October with a CL of $1800 , I use under 10% utilization always! (Even though they want me to use a lot more) 

I recently (1 yr after getting Discover) decided to apply for a second card to help grow a better payment history. Show I can manage 2 credit cards responsibly. I got an Apple Card CL $3000. 

I understand my score could drop a little with a new account and hard inquiry but I'd never imagine such a significant drop as 124 points overnight and for really at this point no reason I can find. 

So far Equifax has not updated with the New Apple Card account yet.
The only new difference from last month is I paid my Discover down from 3% usage to 2% usage. 

It seems to me a point drop of that magnitude would entail some recent serious negatives like a series of missed payments , closed accounts, charge offs etc etc. Recent Negative Credit behavior.. 

I simply don't know. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Btw, should I start using at least  30% on each of my cards?
Is my current problem I'm keeping them under 10% ? Because I can't find anything telling me under 10% is negative behavior.. 

Thanks for taking the time reading! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Equifax -124 Point Drop

Which score model? Last I heard, the score model EQ gives people is an "educational score" that is not used by anyone. 

Message 2 of 6
CBE86

It's through the Credit Karma App Vantage Score 3.0

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Ignore the Credit Karma Vantage 3 score its highly sensitive to new accounts, Fico is the predominant score that matters along with Vantage 4.0 that some banks use

Message 4 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Ignore the Credit Karma Vantage 3 score its highly sensitive to new accounts, Fico is the predominant score that matters along with Vantage 4.0 that some banks use

This.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 6
2Hogrider
Established Member

Credit Karma was designed to help people see their credit scores, track them and improve their credit standing this is the reason they use a vantage scoring system 3 which triggers an algorithm for new accounts (for people with limited credit) that will drastically lower your score on their site.  they hope by doing this it will deter you from applying for multiple accounts at the same time, however, this is temporary and your score should improve if you keep your utilization below the 10% mark usually in 2 weeks to a month.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.