Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax fraud alert letter in the mail.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax fraud alert letter in the mail.

So my credit repair company is disputing some inaccurate claims. 

Experian 12 items deleted

Transunion 12 items deleted

It has been 60 days finally get a letting from Equifax.

Thank you for contacting Equifax. As you requested, we successfully placed an initial fraud alert on your Equifax credit file. This alert will remain on your Equifax credit file for 90 days.

Does anyone know how this happened or what it means. My credit repair company and myself did not file anything.

Only thing thats is different is that i opened myfico monthly $29.99 month account.

Thank you jeff

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax fraud alert letter in the mail.

Everytime you disputing something to one or all CRA's, at the end of the process of disputing, CRA will issue Fraud Alert (FA) placed into all of your 3 of CRA's for 90 days. It happened to me  about 2 months ago. I was disputing something to EQ, at the end of 30 days process of disputing, EQ put 90 days Fraud Alert (FA) on my file and follow by EX and TU automatically the next day.

It easy to remove FA on your credit report if you dont want it. EX required written letter send it to them with copy of your DL request to removed FA on your EX credit report (takes about 10-14 days from mailing the letter until it removed). TU super easy, you can do it by phone by answering few security questions and they will removed it in few mins after that. I dont have any experience with EQ, my FA still there on my EQ credit report.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I still file for disbutes on equifax if I'm on FA status? Thank you
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have disputed items on all 3 credit reports for over 10 years and the only time a fraud alert was made was when I disputed inquiries.

I also never dispute items as "not mine" -- that can trigger a fraud alert.  Since all my negatives on my credit report are in fact mine, just sometimes reported incorrectly, I do written letter disputes targeting specifically what is wrong.

I never, ever dispute an inquiry.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya there was inquiry's that wasn't mine. I never applied for a auto loan
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That will do it.  And there are data points that CRAs may share a fraud alert with other CRAs who may place fraud alerts on all of the credit reports.

The only time I had a ghost inquiry I had it removed by calling the creditor and demanding they remove it.  They removed it in less than 2 weeks after confirming I never applied for credit.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The placing of either an initial or extended fraud alert under the FCRA is technically done only at the request of the consumer of his/her designated rep.

However, the CRAs broadly interpret that requirement to embrace any situation where the consumer or his/her rep has raised any issue of information not being authorized by them.  It is not routinely done for all disputes, only for those that assert information/account not mine type issues.

Not a bad policy, as the intent is to protect the consumer ........

The FCRA also permits any imposed fraud alert to be removed by the consumer simply by sending notice of its rescission.

Just send the CRA notice of the rescission of any fraud alert, being sure to include proof of your identity, such as a copy of a government picture ID.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.