Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erasing Charge Off - If, When and How To Negotiate Settlement

tag
Jazee
Regular Contributor

Erasing Charge Off - If, When and How To Negotiate Settlement

I've got one charge-off on my credit report from 4 years ago (Chase) otherwise my report/score is pretty decent (average FICO in the 720-740 range depending on bureau and UTIs that month.)  I received one settlement offer recently from Chase for 25% but don't have the cash to pay it.  Planning on applying for a mortgage in about 2.5 years so the charge off will still be on my report but I expect my credit score will be in the 740-760 range at least by then.  How important will it be for me to get rid of this charge off prior to mortgage application and could I not reach out to Chase at any time and negotiate a settlement when I have the cash available?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Erasing Charge Off - If, When and How To Negotiate Settlement

@Jazee wrote:

I've got one charge-off on my credit report from 4 years ago (Chase) otherwise my report/score is pretty decent (average FICO in the 720-740 range depending on bureau and UTIs that month.)  I received one settlement offer recently from Chase for 25% but don't have the cash to pay it.  Planning on applying for a mortgage in about 2.5 years so the charge off will still be on my report but I expect my credit score will be in the 740-760 range at least by then.  How important will it be for me to get rid of this charge off prior to mortgage application and could I not reach out to Chase at any time and negotiate a settlement when I have the cash available?

If that is updating monthly its holding down your Fico. You are going to have to clear it in order to close on a mortgage. If they are offering 25% now then I would negotiate payments on that.

Message 2 of 4
mycreditscoreisfair
Frequent Contributor

I also had a charge-off for a Chase card. If you don't accept their offer, it will likely find its way to collections eventually (mine did) and then it may damage your credit even worse. The collection agency offered me a settlement of around 25% as well and accepts payment plans. I believe Chase will do the same if you can pay a certain amount each month or bi-weekly. If you can start making payments, that would be your best bet and at least stop the uncertainty of it getting worse.

Starting score (January 2020): 454 (TU)
First goal (December 2020): 580 (TU)
Second goal (August 2021): 670 (TU)
Current scores: 679 (TU), 665 (EQ), 658 (EX)
Current goal: All three bureaus over 670

Declined credit cards: First Premier Bank, Verve, Self, Credit One, Today Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You won't necessarily have to have it off your reports for a mortgage, but you will definitely have to pay it off prior to applying.

As for removal, being that they're the OC, it is highly unlikely they'll do so. If they're offering you 25%, I'd try to negotiate a payment plan on it as mentioned above. Once it's paid off, you can attempt to ask for GW removal, though of course, it'll be difficult.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.