Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors on my credit report Help please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Errors on my credit report Help please

When Citibank took over my Best Buy credit card from Capitol One, there appears to have been inaccurate reporting by the companies or the credit bureeaus are reporting it wrong, not sure which.  

Both cards show an open date of February 2007 

Equifax shows open with CBNA and no status with Captiol One

Trans Union shows Closed with Capitol One and open with CBNA

Experian shows nothing with CBNA and closed with Capitol One...

It should all show open with Citibank (CBNA) reporting zero balance...  Do I fix any of this or will it drag my score lower?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Errors on my credit report Help please

@Anonymous wrote:

When Citibank took over my Best Buy credit card from Capitol One, there appears to have been inaccurate reporting by the companies or the credit bureeaus are reporting it wrong, not sure which.  

Both cards show an open date of February 2007 

Equifax shows open with CBNA and no status with Captiol One

Trans Union shows Closed with Capitol One and open with CBNA

Experian shows nothing with CBNA and closed with Capitol One...

It should all show open with Citibank (CBNA) reporting zero balance...  Do I fix any of this or will it drag my score lower?

How long has it been since the accounts were migrated to Citi? 

From what I've seen, these conversions usually work themselves out, but if you are unable to wait you can either contact Citi directly and let the CSR transfer you to someone that works in credit bureau reporting (or whatever Citi calls the group) or you can dispute the balances and status as inaccurate directly with the credit bureaus.

In the past when I had one that wouldn't update my balance for months I used option #2, but it took a few weeks to get a new copy of my report with the updated balance/status. 

It looks like your reports might be mid-transition, since you have EQ showing 'no status' with Capital One.  In my experience with accounts changing to Capital One, the old trade line disappeared completely, with the new Capital One tradeline having all the information from the previous account, including the previous open date. 

Citi/CBNA could be different, but I don't see how they could easily 'get away with it', since if they allowed the CBs to continue to display the "old" account along with the "new" it would impact your AAoA, and for an old account this would be good for you.  It's not like them to give us 'freebies' like that... Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Have you called them and discussed the matter directly?

It is always preferable to get things resolved without adding a formal dispute to your credit file.

Since this is a billing related matter on a credit card, you have the option of filing a dispute under the FCBA, which has tighrer limits and requirments than FCRA disputes.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capitol One and Citibank inked the deal in February of 2013.  So, it has been a while.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would dispute with the credit report and request to update balance. Equifax works really well with this type of dispute. EX and TU I have never had this kind of issue so I don't know how fast they work. Good luck
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.