Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever settle?

tag
user365735
Regular Contributor

Ever settle?

Have you ever settle for less then you originally owed? What did you owe and what did you settle for? Was the settlement offered or did you ask? And most importantly who was it with?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Ever settle?

Is there a specific lender/CA you're wanting to know about? Because no two creditors are the same. Some are more open to negotiation than others, some don't want to negotiate at all, and some have lower thresholds on what they'll accept in a settlement.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 8
user365735
Regular Contributor

Synchrony

Chase

Discover 

Citi

Cap1

Figuring out who would be most incline to settle around 30%. Considering bankcupty but I might lose some assets(according to a lawyer) so im considering just defaulting and then trying to settle. Trying to weigh the pros and cons. Id most likely keep the ones who would least likely not want to settle. Ive defaulted on some cards in 2019 and that did affect my score but did not affect any other cards.

Message 3 of 8
CreditRebuilder2020
Frequent Contributor

"Because no two creditors are the same. Some are more open to negotiation than others, some don't want to negotiate at all"

Bingo. 2017/2018 I dealt 3 or 4 collection agencies, some were willing to pay for delete with a settle at way below the original debt, some were willing to pay for delete for original cost and some were just outright scumbags and not willing to budge and threatening legal action. 

Some more detail would be helpful.....If you're dealing with a reasonable CA - they will have some sort of offer and make sure you always get everything in writing, especially on the pay for deletes. Always demand receipts.

X1 VISA SIG $15,500/ AMEX Gold / Petal 1 $3600 / Wells Fargo Active Cash VISA $3K / VENMO Visa $900 / Verizon Visa $2K / Apple Card $1500 SL / Wyndham Rewards Earner Visa $500 / WALGREENS Store $1K / Amazon Store $5000 SL/ Discover IT Chrome $2500K / BP Prime Rewards VISA $4350 / PayPal MC $3500 / BOA BankAmericard $2K / BOA Cash Rewards $1K / Cap One Savor One $1200 / Cap One QS1 $950 / Blaze MC $2250 / Credit One $850 / Credit One AMEX $1200 / OpenSky $600 / AvantCard $1000 / Discover IT Cash Back (Graduated) $400 / eBay MC $750
FEB '22 EX: 698 EQ: 700 TU: 713 | UTL: 23% | Total Credit Limit: $54000
Goal Score: 675 for all FICOS (ACHIEVED NOVEMBER 2021) | NEW GOAL SCORE: 725 for ALL FICOs
Message 4 of 8
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

I settled with Chase in 2011. I owed $9,200 and I settled for $3,223, which is about 35%. I made the agreement when I was 180 days past due, and the account was set to charge-off the next day. Three week earlier, they were only offering a 55% settlement, so they seemed motivated to get some money out of me before charge-off.

Message 5 of 8
House2021
Established Contributor

It depends on the balances, I had multiple high balances ($8000+ each) settle for 20 percent of what I owed, while smaller amounts I owed to other companies wanted 40-45%, one creditor even demanded 60% of the balance, but it was a low balance ($1300) It helps when you can do a lump sum.

Message 6 of 8
abdi12
New Contributor

@user365735 wrote:

Synchrony

Chase

Discover 

Citi

Cap1

Figuring out who would be most incline to settle around 30%. Considering bankcupty but I might lose some assets(according to a lawyer) so im considering just defaulting and then trying to settle. Trying to weigh the pros and cons. Id most likely keep the ones who would least likely not want to settle. Ive defaulted on some cards in 2019 and that did affect my score but did not affect any other cards.

I settled a Discover CO (from 2017) last month. My experience may be different because I didn't settle with them directly, apparently some CA company called National Enterprise System have been managing the debt for Discover, so they instruct me to call them. So I called the CA and settled for 50% savings. So far only the balance has updated but there's no change in status. Hope this month updates.

Message 7 of 8
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

Hello. I am currently in a debt settlement program. I have a dedicated savings account for my debt payments and an attorney that contacts my creditors and negotiates with them.  When they reach a deal, my attorney emails me the offer and I have to approve or decline it. So far I have never felt the need to decline, as the offers are really great. So far, they have saved me over ten grand! I do not think I could have done this better on my own. It has been the best thing for me. They have settled with Chase, Discover, Capital One, and others, too. 

Good luck in negotiating with your creditors. Hope all goes well.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.