Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex girlfriends hospital bills

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ex girlfriends hospital bills

I have an ex girlfriend who put my name on her medical bills as her spouse. We were never married, and I never signed any of these medical forms. It is now several years later and there is a collection agency after me to settle her debt. I have told these people that we were never married and that I didn't sign the paperwork, but the collectors are adamant that I pay the debt and they refuse to take it off of my credit history. According to them, they tried to have me served at her address, but as I did not live there I did not get the paperwork, or show up for the hearing, so by this logic there is a judgement against me.

What can I do to get these people off of my back, and have this item removed from my credit history?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Ex girlfriends hospital bills

Dude, you need a lawyer.  

You could be looking at garnishments, etc.  Spend the money on a lawyer.  Borrow it if you have to.

Message 2 of 4
Madman94044
Regular Contributor

+1 on the lawyer
Staring Score:EQ 649 TU 647 EX 644
Current Score: EQ 786 TU 699 EX 746
Goal Score: 800
Wallet: SF Fire CU $5000 CL Chase Freedom 4000 CL, Chase MP $5000, WellsFargo $6000 CL, Amex Gold NPSL, Cap1 CashRewards $2500 CL, Amex BCP $12000 Discover More $1200 CSP 18000
Message 3 of 4
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

+1 on the lawyer. how much is the debt for?  were you present at the time of service of the hospital?  I only ask if you were present in case you may have signed something like permision to operate on her and also signed a promise to pay?  this happened to me thats why i ask

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.