cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Dispute

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
New Visitor

Experian Dispute

So TransUnion deleted a collection from ERC (Enhanced Recovery Company) yesterday. I started the dispute about a week ago because I literally JUST started being concerned about my credit for the first time in my life (I am now 27 years old)

When I turned 18, my estranged biological mother fraudulently opened a Verizon account, it ended up in collections of course, so this lead to my decision to live my financial life 100% cash, no credit.

I was under the impression it took 10 years for collections to drop off your credit, so that's the reason I just started to work on my credit now that I'm 27 years old. The major negative is that I'm starting way late to work on my credit score, the major positive being I am debt free.. or at least I thought I was.

I signed up for Credit Karma and noticed a collections account for ERC for owing AT&T around $1,100 back in June 2016. Well, this collection is clearly not mine considering my position on handling all my finances with cash ONLY since becoming an adult.

I disputed this account with Credit Karma's dispute center tool. The derogatory wasn't reported to Equifax, but it was in fact reported to TransUnion. After disputing with CK's tool, I did a little research and found I would be far better off disputing this account in a more personal way via sending mail rather than using CK's dispute tool because they use generic "templates" to dispute; from some brief research here on Reddit I found that these generic templates are very often disregarded, resulting in the credit bureau verifying/validating/confirming the debt.

So I called TransUnion to cancel my dispute so I can re-do the dispute the "proper" way by sending certified mail, a personal response, etc etc... But the gentleman on the phone told me "We have already completed the dispute request and we have deleted the derogatory off your credit report."

YESSSSSSSS! HUGE WIN! I was happy for the rest of the day, up until I got curious and checked my Experian report since my TU and Equifax are all clear now.

Womp womp.. what a bummer, the Enhanced Recovery Company (ERC) / AT&T Mobility collection for $1,100 is on my Experian report :'(

So, now I ask of this community a question that is very important. Do I roll the dice and start a dispute with Experian over this debt and hope I get the same outcome I got from TU? ---OR--- Do I send in the Identity Fraud form I completed with the .gov service (I believe it's called 605b?) I haven't filed a police report with local law enforcement yet, but I will if need be.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Senior Contributor

Re: Experian Dispute

@AmpTank wrote:
So TransUnion deleted a collection from ERC (Enhanced Recovery Company) yesterday. I started the dispute about a week ago because I literally JUST started being concerned about my credit for the first time in my life (I am now 27 years old)

When I turned 18, my estranged biological mother fraudulently opened a Verizon account, it ended up in collections of course, so this lead to my decision to live my financial life 100% cash, no credit.

I was under the impression it took 10 years for collections to drop off your credit, so that's the reason I just started to work on my credit now that I'm 27 years old. The major negative is that I'm starting way late to work on my credit score, the major positive being I am debt free.. or at least I thought I was.

I signed up for Credit Karma and noticed a collections account for ERC for owing AT&T around $1,100 back in June 2016. Well, this collection is clearly not mine considering my position on handling all my finances with cash ONLY since becoming an adult.

I disputed this account with Credit Karma's dispute center tool. The derogatory wasn't reported to Equifax, but it was in fact reported to TransUnion. After disputing with CK's tool, I did a little research and found I would be far better off disputing this account in a more personal way via sending mail rather than using CK's dispute tool because they use generic "templates" to dispute; from some brief research here on Reddit I found that these generic templates are very often disregarded, resulting in the credit bureau verifying/validating/confirming the debt.

So I called TransUnion to cancel my dispute so I can re-do the dispute the "proper" way by sending certified mail, a personal response, etc etc... But the gentleman on the phone told me "We have already completed the dispute request and we have deleted the derogatory off your credit report."

YESSSSSSSS! HUGE WIN! I was happy for the rest of the day, up until I got curious and checked my Experian report since my TU and Equifax are all clear now.

Womp womp.. what a bummer, the Enhanced Recovery Company (ERC) / AT&T Mobility collection for $1,100 is on my Experian report :'(

So, now I ask of this community a question that is very important. Do I roll the dice and start a dispute with Experian over this debt and hope I get the same outcome I got from TU? ---OR--- Do I send in the Identity Fraud form I completed with the .gov service (I believe it's called 605b?) I haven't filed a police report with local law enforcement yet, but I will if need be.

You can do the dispute online since you say its not yours and it should lead to the same results. If it was EQ then the form would be needed since they screw up constantly. Congrats on starting on your credit journey. If you need help . We here are all ears. Good Luck and Welcome!

My posts are JMHO. I DO NOT claim to be a FICO expert. Just sharing my experiences from rebuild to recovery after BK DC. My siggy is not to brag at all. Just to show fellow members what can be accomplished when you do it right and play the FICO Credit Game.
Message 2 of 4
Valued Contributor

Nicely done, AT. Congrats!

Starting Score: (5/24/2018) -- FICO 08 EXP: 643; FICO 08 TU: 642; FICO 08 EQ: 677
Current Score (11/11/2019): FICO 08 EXP: 747; TU: 749; EQ: 747
2019 Goal Score: 800 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Legendary Contributor

Deletion by the CRA could have occured either as a result of an explicit reporting of deletion by the furnisher/debt collector, or as a finding by the CRA that deletion was mandated as a result of lack of verification of the dispute.  You must first determine why the deletion occured.

If the CRA deleted as a finding of lack of verification of accuracy of the dispute, they were required to send you a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation stating that outcome.  If the debt collector determined that the collection could not be verified, then the FCRA requires that they also report that fact to all other CRAs, and not just the CRA handling the dispute.

The alternative is that upon receiving the dispute, the debt collector simply reported deletion of the collection with that CRA.

That is different under the FCRA in handling of an unverified dispute and deletion by the CRA, and does not carry a mandate that they also delete with other CRAs.

Did you receive a Notice of  Results of Reinvestigation from the CRA, stating that they resolved the dispute via deletion, or was the collection deleted by the debt collector?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.