Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Online Dispute Question

tag
ak129132
Established Member

Experian Online Dispute Question

Hi everyone,

I disputed a collection item to "paid in full" online on Experian's website. Today I go back and look at my report using the "report number" they gave me and the item was not present on the report.

However, when I go to check pending dispute, the item is still shown as pending investigation.

My question is that does Experian not display items under investigation on its reports or is that my item was actually deleted?

Thanks again,

AK

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Timbrooks08
New Contributor

Re: Experian Online Dispute Question

in the past I have checked that status of a dispute from experian and the website would claim there isn't an active dispute.  I have always had problems with experian as far as disputes but I am assuming since its not on your report anymore then its gone and the dispute is completed.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Once you dispute, the CRA has a statutory requiement to conclude that dispute within 30 days, and send a formal Notice of Results of Reinvestigation within 5 business days thereafter.  If you give express authorization in your online dispute that they may communicate the results electronically, then you would receive the Notice via email.

Otherwise they must send written Notice.

It is that Notice of Results of Reinvestigation that legally concludes the dispute, so no indication of a pending dispute should continue after 45'ish days or so after filing of the dispute.  It is not sufficient for them to simply delete if their reinvestigation does not support a finding of accuracy.  They must send the Notice in the manner your have authorized, and within the period set by statute.

Did you ever receive a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation from the CRA?

Message 3 of 6
ak129132
Established Member

I think they are supposed to inform me the results electronically as my email address was asked for.

No, I did not receive the Notice of Results of Reinvestigation.

I am afraid that the item was deleted because the CA had requested to delete and then in the meantime I disputed the item which will cause them to put it back on my report.

Is this possible?

Thanks

AK

Message 4 of 6
ak129132
Established Member

bump

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRA was still obligated to respond.

If the reporting had been delted prior to receipt of the dispute, then the dispute would have been moot, as the information would no longer be in your file.

The CRA would still be required to notify you that they dismissed the dispute without reinvestigation.

The entire issue of whether you actually had a dispute appears in question, so any issue of its treatment has not been answered by the CRA.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.