Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian and Equifax not updating reports after disputes

tag
PizzaAngel84
Valued Member

Experian and Equifax not updating reports after disputes

Hi everyone,

I got a creditor to agree to grant a goodwill request for a late payment in 2019.  I have maintained perfect payment history since and it was caused due to me being in the hospital for 3 months.  It's still an open card and I received a letter from them granting my request to have the 30 day late payment removed...but Experian and Equifax are giving me sooo much trouble.  First...Equifax changed the 30 day late payment to  60 days late...and is stating that is what my creditor submitted...which my creditor is denying.  I think someone in the dispute department misread the part in the letter stating to give the creditors 60 days to fix the issue...and I have submitted the dispute twice but they take almost a month to get back to me and no changes are made.  With Experian, they removed the late payment under some notes, but did not update the payment history...so it will continue to report as a derogatory account (that late payment was my only "baddie") until 2025.  I have disputed this over the phone...online...had the creditor try...it's just been a headache.  The creditor actually got it reporting properly for a week..and all of a sudden I got a notification that my dispute request was received (which I hadn't submitted anything), and then it was back to reflecting a 30 day late payment.  Has anyone had this kind of trouble?  It's driving me insane...

Starting Score: 676
Current Score: 717
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experian and Equifax not updating reports after disputes

If you have a letter indicating that the late payment is to be removed just file a CFPB complaint on the CRAs not getting it right, upload the letter as proof of your claim.

Message 2 of 5
PizzaAngel84
Valued Member

Thank you so much!!

Starting Score: 676
Current Score: 717
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does a CFPB complaint take? Never heard of such. 

Message 4 of 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It can take up to 60 days depending upon the nature of the complaint and who the complaint is filed against. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.