cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian and Inquiry Procedure...Interesting..

tag
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Experian and Inquiry Procedure...Interesting..

I decided to phone experian about how to get inquiries removed from a company I've never heard of -  he told me to call the company....I said there is not a phone number on my report. He said to google it...CA's do not have to list their phone number with the bureaus for collection purposes...

The gentelman I spoke to told me, when I asked him specifically,that a Collection Agency CAN pull a persons credit report as many times as they like. THERE IS NO LIMIT!! THEY CAN DO IT EVERY WEEK IF THEY WANT TO...EVERY DAY!! All they have to say is they are trying to collect a debt....they don't have to even own the debt...

I told the rep at Experian that I've never HEARD of this company and they pulled my report (so that EVERYONE CAN SEE IT - aka hard pull) five times...All they have to say is that they are trying to collect a debt....

Seems to be unfair that this can be done.  I guess sometimes life isn't fair...

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian and Inquiry Procedure...Interesting..

I wonder if this is where you can use the SOL. I have had the same experience with that. However if the SOL in your state says they can no longer collect the debt, you would think they cant pull your credit to collect a debt that they can no longer collect right? of course i have no idea how to prove that though. Just a thought.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just clarifying.

The SOL is how long a plaintiff can sue you to collect on the debt.  A CA or OC can try to collect an upaid debt for forever.  The FCRA limits how long they can report on your credit reports, and SOL limits how long they can sue.

So I think the pulls could go on past the SOL, and past the CRTP as long as the debt remains unpaid.

Message 3 of 7
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Well this account was within SOL. Here in Penciltucky, I think it is seven years....should pack my bags and head to NYC where's it's only five!

I can't believe that a CA has a right to hard pull over and over and over and over. with no limits! Like being a US Senator - no limits! 

Message 4 of 7
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

@daisyduke wrote:

I decided to phone experian about how to get inquiries removed from a company I've never heard of -  he told me to call the company....I said there is not a phone number on my report. He said to google it...CA's do not have to list their phone number with the bureaus for collection purposes...

The gentelman I spoke to told me, when I asked him specifically,that a Collection Agency CAN pull a persons credit report as many times as they like. THERE IS NO LIMIT!! THEY CAN DO IT EVERY WEEK IF THEY WANT TO...EVERY DAY!! All they have to say is they are trying to collect a debt....they don't have to even own the debt...

I told the rep at Experian that I've never HEARD of this company and they pulled my report (so that EVERYONE CAN SEE IT - aka hard pull) five times...All they have to say is that they are trying to collect a debt....

Seems to be unfair that this can be done.  I guess sometimes life isn't fair...

I guess this would be one of those cases where you'd want to freeze your credit reports...I know it'll be a PITA for you, but it's definitely better than 5 hard pulls! Smiley Sad

But I agree with you that this seems completely unfair. They should have to prove the debt that they're trying to "collect"!

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do put a freeze on it how do you authorize people to pull it lets say if you are trying to buy a car or something?
Message 6 of 7
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Thanks wndrwoman....no one is looking for me for $$$ any more, so freeze isn't necessary....but i feel it was abusive. Only a consumer lawyer would know. The Law is open to interpretation anyway...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.