cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian keeps negatively updating a paid-closed account!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian keeps negatively updating a paid-closed account!

Long time creeper, first time poster, and finally need some help. Back in August I applied for a mortgage and was approved by USAA. Through the process they determined I had an open collection with the Department of Veterans Affairs, but it was closed and paid in full in May of 2016 with the other Bureaus. USAA, doing their due diligence, made them update this account.

Unfortunately, Experian had a different idea of what that meant. I saw a dip on my credit score in September, but I assumed it was because of the mortgage. Fast forward to December when I apply for a Best Buy CC and am denied because of recent late payments and an account in collections.

Next I pull my credit report and see that it is showing in collections as of September, so I file a dispute through the online portal. This comes back relatively quickly and now it updated to December that the account was in collections, though they verified it was paid in full in May of 2016, as stated previously. I talk to a CSR and file a second dispute, only for that to come back as verified as well and no change to my report.

I then verified with two additional CSRs that the account was paid in May of 2016, and that there was nothing I could do about it. Shavon even told me directly that there was no way to dispute this. I have since filed a complaint with the CFPB, but this is ridiculous as I’ve seen a nearly 70 point drop on Experian.

Has anyone had a similar experience? This is negatively impacting my life and they could care less. No one cares and there is nothing anyone can do other than open another dispute which will provide the same information. This is potentially fraud and I’m considering contacting an attorney and filing suit if this is not corrected. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
33 REPLIES 33
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experian keeps negatively updating a paid-closed account!

Per CRA rules paid collections or derog OCs are to stop updating once they show paid off. RobertEG knows quite a bit about this hopefully he sees this thread and can chime in on it. If USAA asked them to update a paid account then it is USAA who really did you the disservice. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, but it does seem like there is a lot of blame to he shared here. I never in my wildest dreams thought it would be this hard to get it corrected. Having the exact subsection would be super helpful, so fingers crossed others join in.
Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any advice but wanted to say I love the name.  I miss the show.

Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bumping in hopes RobertEG chimes in.
Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am battling this EXACT issue.  Charged off VA debt which was paid in April of 2016.  For the last 3 months, Experian is showing CO / Failed to Pay on my credit reports.  I have tried to resolve through the VA Debt Management Center.  They are absolutly no help, and tell me to dispute with Experian.  I dispute with Experian, it comes back valid, and the month is updated with either CO or FP (Failed to Pay).  I have an open case with the CFPB right now, as I've heard lots of other people on other forums having this exact issue.  Hopefully we can both get this issue resolved.

Message 6 of 34
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Per CRA rules paid collections or derog OCs are to stop updating once they show paid off. RobertEG knows quite a bit about this hopefully he sees this thread and can chime in on it. If USAA asked them to update a paid account then it is USAA who really did you the disservice. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

@Does it work if you add @RobertEG to see it? Here is his profile: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/4027

Message 7 of 34
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What, specifically, is the collection showing when it updates?

Any reporting made after the debt was paid should show the collection as closed, with a paid status, and $0 amount remaining under collection.

There is no absolute bar against updated reporting.  In fact, updates are REQUIRED if any correction is deemed necessary.

REgular updates are only stated,under CRA policy, to cease if they do not correct or update actual information.

Regardless, if update reporting is made that correctly shows the status as paid, closed, $0 balance, that update does not extend the period of reported delinquency,and thus should not impact scoring.

However, as is apparently the case in the posted scenario, if the reporting incorrectly shows that the collection is still open and unpaid, that extends the period of continued delinquency since date of initial delinquency, and thus impact scoring.

A dispute should thus specifically contest the accuracy of any update that incorretly reports the collection to still be open with any unpaid (delinquent) balance.  If that is the specific assertion in the dispute and the debt collector verifies back to the CRA, then the consumer can bring civil action under FCRA 623(c) on the basis of an unresonable investigation and verification.

Was that the specific inaccuracy that was provided as the basis for your prior dispute?

That will get the matter before a court, with the outcome being a binding determination of wether their verification of your dispute was reasonalbe.  If their verification also is shown to have been done either with actual knowledge of its inaccuracy or due to negligence, the consumer can also recover actual or punitive damages under FCRA 616/617.

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your input. I’m going to wait to see what the CFPB complaint reveals, and then I’ll go from there. @purcell1911 sorry to hear you are in the same situation. Unfortunately, this may just be par for the course with the VA.
Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, the CFPB updated my case and simply told me to reach out to the VA...looks like I'm just going to leave this alone as I'm honestly tired of dealing with it. The account will age off in a few years
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.