cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian will not remove Fraud from my report.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian will not remove Fraud from my report.

I was out of the country from January 2015 - October 2019 during that time my mother who was living at my home was dealing with cancer. My family hired a caregiver who we didn't know was stealing from us the entire time. She essetinally ran my entire families credit into the dirt and the police were unable to catch her because she had been living and working under a stolen identity.  When I got back from Toronto my score had went from Low 800 to below 500. I sent all three Cb's the same information. Police Reports, Letters from my job, etc and they were able to remove everything. I basically feel like an 18 year old again but Experian isn't moving on anything for some reason the creditors keep verifying these accounts as accurate after I provided them all of the info as well. What steps should I take next?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Experian will not remove Fraud from my report.

File a complaint with the CFPB. Upload all supporting documentation. If thats a dead end. Then a consumer FRCA lawyer.

Message 2 of 4
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

Sometimes one hand is not knowing what the other hand is doing.  The fraud alert is for Experian as well as you.  Call Experian in the a.m., the earlier, the better and explain the situation to the representative.  Talk to someone that has total access to credit accounts and not the membership Department.  I have requested that Dept many times.  The later in the day it gets, the less information you get from Representatives changing shifts.  I hope this helps.  NOTE:  Think about this person still maybe having your information and what can still happen.  Use that fraud alert as a stepping stone to future credit.  The only thing is using a correct phone number so that creditors can call you at the time of application.  And make sure you are checking your accounts daily.

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was out of the country from January 2015 - October 2019 during that time my mother who was living at my home was dealing with cancer. My family hired a caregiver who we didn't know was stealing from us the entire time. She essetinally ran my entire families credit into the dirt and the police were unable to catch her because she had been living and working under a stolen identity.  When I got back from Toronto my score had went from Low 800 to below 500. I sent all three Cb's the same information. Police Reports, Letters from my job, etc and they were able to remove everything. I basically feel like an 18 year old again but Experian isn't moving on anything for some reason the creditors keep verifying these accounts as accurate after I provided them all of the info as well. What steps should I take next?

I agree with @tricie17....you should leave it on there and update the fraud alert notice to refelct or add the correct phone number you can easily be reached at so the can verify its you at the time of the application. 

I myself added a fraud alert even when there was not fraud. It came in handy when someone in arizona tried to open multiple accounts last year. They kept calling and would get denied. Look at it as a way to be more proactive in making sure you dont have to deal with the headache of actually having to deal with a stolen identity for the 7 years its on there.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.