cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiences Qualifying for Capital One After Secured Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experiences Qualifying for Capital One After Secured Card?

Looking for experiences of how long after getting the Captial One Secured card people start to get prequalified for the regular Platinum and QS1?  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experiences Qualifying for Capital One After Secured Card?

I had mine for about 8 months and never even thoght about it. Then I got an unsecured CLI on the secured card and went ahead and applied for the QS1 and was approved.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

At six months, I got an unsecured CLI on my secured card.  By then I had gotten Amex and Secured Discover Card.  Didn't rally think about applying for Plat and QS1; had my mind on the Venture and QS, so I worked on my scores and 11 months after I got my secured card, I got the Venture and QS.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly I had my secured card for a month before I got the congrats on the prequalify screen.  Ran as many things as i could through it and paid it as soon as they posted to the account.  

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.  Both my husband and I have Captial One Secured and Discover It Secured.  I will just periodically try the prequalify on CO's site.  I am hoping to get rid of the CO secured cards as quickly as possible since that one doesn't graduate and seems to only get a very small increase when you do finally see a CLI.  We will be keeping the Discover It Secureds since those can graduate.  

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hubby and I both prequalified (and got) the QS1 and Platinum a month after getting the secured card.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am interested to know as well.  Only had my secured card for a few weeks now, but want to qualify for the unsecured as soon as possible.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  Both my husband and I have Captial One Secured and Discover It Secured.  I will just periodically try the prequalify on CO's site.  I am hoping to get rid of the CO secured cards as quickly as possible since that one doesn't graduate and seems to only get a very small increase when you do finally see a CLI.  We will be keeping the Discover It Secureds since those can graduate.  

Honestly, many people NEVER get an "OFFER" on the pre-qual site but are approved for both the QS1 and Plat. The great thing is that they don't do an HP if you are denied.

Having the secured has prevented some from being able to get both, however. They usually get the one but not both. Being as that has been the case for so many most have recommended getting the Plat 1st, once you have it close the secured and app the QS1. The reason for this order is that you can PC the Plat to a QS after 30 or so days having a $0 AF 1.5% cash rewards CC almost right off the bat.

I posted a thread about this a few weeks ago but there are many postings about this.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/No-Offer-Cap1-Pre-qual-site/m-p/4484934#M473460

Message 8 of 11
tenillelg
Valued Member

I got my secured card this past December... scores were around 550 then.

I just recieved my platnium card in the mail yesterday.  I should recieve the Q1 any day now as I applied for both at the same time and was approved.  I had checkted the pre-qual site for the first time about a month ago... but did not decide to actually go for it until about a week and half ago.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tenillelg wrote:

I got my secured card this past December... scores were around 550 then.

I just recieved my platnium card in the mail yesterday.  I should recieve the Q1 any day now as I applied for both at the same time and was approved.  I had checkted the pre-qual site for the first time about a month ago... but did not decide to actually go for it until about a week and half ago.

That's great!!!

Treat them well and they will treat you well.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.