Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIA/BofA Negotiation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FIA/BofA Negotiation

2011: Default Judgement for $9K

I have been jobless/penniless for 8 years, but have recently come into enough money to pay a portion of this debt and avoid bankruptcy.

I tried contacting FIA and the legal department will only communicate via fax.  3 months ago, I had the recovery department fax legal requesting written confirmation, by mail, of my debt.  Not a word.  I tracked down a vintage fax machine, and faxed them myself a month ago.  Again, no response whatsoever.  I only have one line, so I couldn't keep my fax on 24/7, but I've been checking my caller ID ever since and there was nothing that would have been them.

How do you negotiate with a company that won't communicate with you?

In both faxes, I've informed them that I require this information for my bankruptcy paperwork, which I told them I was planning on filing shortly.

If I didn't know any better, due to the complete lack of communication, I would actually think that they'd prefer I'd declare bankruptcy and not pay them anything rather than negotiating a settlement and getting some money from me.

Is this the ultimate negotiating tactic? Complete silence?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FIA/BofA Negotiation

@Anonymous wrote:

2011: Default Judgement for $9K

I have been jobless/penniless for 8 years, but have recently come into enough money to pay a portion of this debt and avoid bankruptcy.

I tried contacting FIA and the legal department will only communicate via fax.  3 months ago, I had the recovery department fax legal requesting written confirmation, by mail, of my debt.  Not a word.  I tracked down a vintage fax machine, and faxed them myself a month ago.  Again, no response whatsoever.  I only have one line, so I couldn't keep my fax on 24/7, but I've been checking my caller ID ever since and there was nothing that would have been them.

How do you negotiate with a company that won't communicate with you?

In both faxes, I've informed them that I require this information for my bankruptcy paperwork, which I told them I was planning on filing shortly.

If I didn't know any better, due to the complete lack of communication, I would actually think that they'd prefer I'd declare bankruptcy and not pay them anything rather than negotiating a settlement and getting some money from me.

Is this the ultimate negotiating tactic? Complete silence?

You have stated you are going to file BK, its not necessary for an exact amount owed to be put on the forms an estimation is acceptable so they wont waste anymore time and will just wait for the BK paperwork. This is why you never mention it unless you actually are going to follow through with it.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.