Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO score "capped"?

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

FICO score "capped"?

I understand that there are "buckets" that the consumer goes in based on what is on the report. I recall reading somewhere, however, that a single PR can "cap" your score.  Anyone know more about that?

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: FICO score "capped"?

A PR on your credit report will definately place you into a "dirty" FICO scoring bucket and will drop your score.

I have no idea how many points you lose becuase of it, as it depends on a myriad of factors, include what else is on your report.

Your score may indeed "max out" at a certain point, where you might only gain a few negligible points as time goes on and negatives age off.

You are scored based on your report and also on how you compare to others in your "bucket".

Removing the PR will result in the best scenerio for your FICO scores.  If this is the only negative on your report then I would expect a significant boost.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a great link from the Education tab (above).  Under Q&A, you'll find:

Credit missteps – how their effect on FICO scores vary 

Hope that helps a little.

Message 3 of 5
GregB
Valued Contributor

Most of the newer FICO versions have 12 Scorecards, sometimes referred to as "buckets". There are usually 8 for people with a major derogatory and 4 for those without.

Each Scorecard has a range so that translates into a maximum score that is possible with certain types of major derogatories. It is probably best to not think of this as removing a PR will add a certain number of points. It is probably better to think of it that NOT having any derogatories will take you down a completely different path to calculate your score. You are then being compared to a completely different group.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an example, my CH 13 BK recently aged off my TU report. 

My TU FICO score, according to this site, went from 716 to 791.  Smiley Tongue

I consider that a fine example of having a good day.   Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.