cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO8 improving but Mortgage FICO won't budge!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO8 improving but Mortgage FICO won't budge!?

Hello all!

Just like the title says, I've been working on improving my credit scores and my FICO 8 and other scores have been increasing. However, the FICO for Mortgages is staying the same. I have never had a bankruptcy or late mortgage payment. It almost looks like the Mortgage FICO score simply never updates no matter what changes or gets removed on my credit report. I'm trying to qualify for a mortgage within the next month (I have been working on credit improvement for 8 months!) and they take the middle score which is currently 12 points too low. I am disputing and sending goodwill letters but at this point all the scores except my mortgage one are reaping the benefits. Does anyone have any experience in how to get the Mortgage FICO to budge?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: FICO8 improving but Mortgage FICO won't budge!?

Mortgage scores are more sensitive to different areas of the FICO scores. What kind of baddies are from the past. No more disputing accurate info. Each time it comes back it updates and trashes your scores again and again.

Message 2 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all!

Just like the title says, I've been working on improving my credit scores and my FICO 8 and other scores have been increasing. However, the FICO for Mortgages is staying the same. I have never had a bankruptcy or late mortgage payment. It almost looks like the Mortgage FICO score simply never updates no matter what changes or gets removed on my credit report. I'm trying to qualify for a mortgage within the next month (I have been working on credit improvement for 8 months!) and they take the middle score which is currently 12 points too low. I am disputing and sending goodwill letters but at this point all the scores except my mortgage one are reaping the benefits. Does anyone have any experience in how to get the Mortgage FICO to budge?

Need WAY more information 

When was the last time you updated your reports to see the current mortgage scores? 

What are your current mortgage scores? 

How many cards do you have that are reporting a balance? 

How many open loans do you have on your reports? 

What are the limits on your cards? Individual and total ultilization? 

How old are the negatives on your reports? 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 3 charge offs and 5 late payments from 2016 and 2017. I've been successful in getting charge offs for 2016 to fall off but these are what remain. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all!

When was the last time you updated your reports to see the current mortgage scores? 

Mortgage reports were updated yesterday. Mortgage scores are Experian 639 Equifax 607 and Transunion 608. FICO 8 scores are Experian 631 Equifax 623 and Transunion 641. 

I have $1200 in credit limit and $6 balance being reported that will be $0 next time it updates. No car loan or installment loans. I have a mortgage loan that has never been late. 

My negatives are from 2016 and 2017. There are 3 charge offs left and 5 late payments. I sent goodwill letters this week for the late payments which I have never done before.

Message 5 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all!

Mortgage reports were updated yesterday. Mortgage scores are Experian 639 Equifax 607 and Transunion 608. FICO 8 scores are Experian 631 Equifax 623 and Transunion 641. 

I have $1200 in credit limit and $6 balance being reported that will be $0 next time it updates. No car loan or installment loans. I have a mortgage loan that has never been late. 

My negatives are from 2016 and 2017. There are 3 charge offs left and 5 late payments. I sent goodwill letters this week for the late payments which I have never done before.

Are the charge offs paid or unpaid? 

How old is your youngest account? 

Don't let all your cards report $0 it will cause your scores to decrease. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all!

Are the charge offs paid or unpaid? 

How old is your youngest account? 

Don't let all your cards report $0 it will cause your scores to decrease. 

Only one charge off is paid. Ironically it was for a car that was repossessed and I paid it off in full in 2016 and my auto loan FICO is still higher than my mortgage FICO. I will charge a few bucks on each card today so that the balances show $10 but will that affect my mortgage score? I kept a balance on them for the past 8 months and it did very little to help my FICO 8 score either.

Message 7 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Only have a small balance report on one card, preferably a major lender, not a store only card.

If the unpaid charge offs are from revolving accounts then they are keeping your scores depressed as the balances are used in utilization calculations and mortgage scores weigh utilization heavier than FICO 8 does.

Are the CO updating monthly? 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:

Only have a small balance report on one card, preferably a major lender, not a store only card.

If the unpaid charge offs are from revolving accounts then they are keeping your scores depressed as the balances are used in utilization calculations and mortgage scores weigh utilization heavier than FICO 8 does.

Are the CO updating monthly? 

Got it. One of the charge offs is updating monthly at $326 and was a revolving store card (Comenity) before it was sold off. It says it is due to fall of in January 2023. I have not requested a validation for this debt before or gone through the dispute process for it. Would it be better to attempt a pay for delete or dispute? I have had some luck getting some 6+yr account to fall off due to age but really am not sure which would be the quicker option. Also, I updated my signature with my paltry credit card assortment at the moment. So the $326 would be either less than or hovering right at 30% utilization (if they don't count my auth user credit limit).  

Message 9 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Pay off all the charge offs. This will help your mortgage scores. Also, what is the balance on your AU card? If it's zero, it's also hurting your with the "all-zero penalty" for AU accounts though. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.