Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FINALLY got my score over700

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FINALLY got my score over700

This forum has been so helpful in giving advice to my new college grad as he starts building credit, and to me as I rebuilt from a 14-month unemployment disaster and 585 FICO score. So I wanted to post this update after I saw a 120 point jump in my score yesterday!  I had to let a few things just age off but also started the build back with a small Capital One secured card, from there a couple of merchant cards, paying on time, and generally being patient. The all-zero-but-one approach helped my score creep up, to where Cap One at long last increased my limit from $500 to $4500, and I was even able to cosign on a private student loan for my daughter. But I could not get it past 700 - even after getting an early exlusion on my last 2 Portfolio Recovery accounts it only jumped 3 lousy pts. This increase appears to be due to a small Target collection account FINALLY aging off this month to where I now have 0 negative items. I really hate this credit score game but unfortunately, learning to play it can make life a little easier if you are not financially independent or don't have a safety net. Posting this to give hope to anyone who may have been where I was. Don't give up!

p_scoreupdate.png

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Re: FINALLY got my score over700

Congratulations 🎉🎈🎊 on getting your score up and your progress.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 2 of 11
aynot4fitness
Contributor

Wow, you completely blasted past 700! Congratulations! Great discipline, patience, and dilligence pays off!

Personal

Business

:
:
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 4 of 11
7774x
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This forum has been so helpful in giving advice to my new college grad as he starts building credit, and to me as I rebuilt from a 14-month unemployment disaster and 585 FICO score. So I wanted to post this update after I saw a 120 point jump in my score yesterday!  I had to let a few things just age off but also started the build back with a small Capital One secured card, from there a couple of merchant cards, paying on time, and generally being patient. The all-zero-but-one approach helped my score creep up, to where Cap One at long last increased my limit from $500 to $4500, and I was even able to cosign on a private student loan for my daughter. But I could not get it past 700 - even after getting an early exlusion on my last 2 Portfolio Recovery accounts it only jumped 3 lousy pts. This increase appears to be due to a small Target collection account FINALLY aging off this month to where I now have 0 negative items. I really hate this credit score game but unfortunately, learning to play it can make life a little easier if you are not financially independent or don't have a safety net. Posting this to give hope to anyone who may have been where I was. Don't give up!

p_scoreupdate.png

Congrats ..what a great feeling?...Smiley Happy mine went from 489 to 741

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

🎉🥳🍾

Message 6 of 11
collics
Established Contributor

Congratulations!! I can't believe one collection was holding your score back that much!!

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 7 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Nice. Congrats on the new tier! Way to go!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@collics wrote:

Congratulations!! I can't believe one collection was holding your score back that much!!

Same! Can't be sure that's what it was but it just came off after 7 long years. Target/TD bank was pretty stubborn and would never work with me. I also had my oldest account age by a year but can't imagine that would trigger such a big jump. Utilization would have gone down some with the target exclusion too but not all that much given it was a small amount. Thinking the new student loan may have helped as I only had revolvers until that. 🤷‍♀️

Message 9 of 11
Irv02
Established Contributor

Congrats!!  Keep up the good work!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.