Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!

tag
abarcla1
New Contributor

FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!

Hey Everyone.

I think I just made a classic mistake that everyone warns you about.

Background:

I had 2 items on my credit report from the same collection agency.  The first one was a medical collection paid in full, but still a collection.  I paid it a couple years ago and I sent a GW letter 2 days ago to explain the circumstances and ask for it to be removed...since it was paid.  I received a really pleasant call from them this morning saying that they would be glad to remove it for me...but I had another delinquent account with their company.  So, the second collection was unpaid in the amount of $360.  When I mailed the GW letter for the first account, I also sent a PFD for the second, unpaid account.  She told me that if I would pay the $360 in full, they could remove both items from my credit report.  So, following the advice of all of the forums, I asked for it in writing.  She asked me to hold and then came back after speaking to her supervisor who said that they can't issue those letters before payment because they've been used against them in disputes before.  She did say they would email me a letter today saying it was deleted and then they would mail a hard copy.  So...I did it.  My Equifax report shows 4 negative accounts and these are 2 of them.  I sent a GW to the third, and a PFD offer to the 4th...so there's a chance I could clean this whole thing up pretty quickly.

BUT.............I haven't seen the e-mail yet and this was a couple of hours ago.  I have the name of the girl I spoke to and her supervisor.

Did I just make the biggest rookie mistake ever???

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Jslow
Valued Member

Re: FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!

I have never been burned doing a pfd over the phone, maybe I'm just lucky, i don't know. What company was it?
Message 2 of 12
abarcla1
New Contributor

Hollis Cobb Associates in Atlanta.

I'm still hopeful...but afraid.  LOL

Message 3 of 12
dodfire
Valued Contributor

I bet you are fine...do not freak out. I did one of those over the phone and it took about a week and it was gone from my report. 

*8/10/13
Message 4 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It is always better to get it in writing but sometimes you just can't.  An oral agreement is just as binding as a written one.

Message 5 of 12
Amerabian
New Contributor

1. Call them again and politely ask for the e-mail which they promised to send.

If that doesn't work,

2. E-Mail an executive and provide all information including time of the call and name(s) of the persons you spoke with.

There's still a lot of hope, work environments can be a little bit overwhelming at times.

Don't freak out Smiley Happy

FICO Score: 644
NPSL$500$300$500$528

Message 6 of 12
abarcla1
New Contributor

Update:

I called and did just that.  The girl I originally spoke to told me the supervisor sends out the e-mails...which she did tell me earlier as well.  I played it off like I just wanted to confirm that my e-mail address was right because I hadn't seen anything yet.  She said the supervisor works until 7:00 so if I hadn't seen something by 7:15 to call first thing in the AM.

Will getting 2 old-ish medical collections deleted boost my score at all?

Message 7 of 12
abarcla1
New Contributor

The dates assigned to these are 11/2010 and 9/2009.

Message 8 of 12
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Glad you called back and I am sure you will get something soon.

Getting those two "should" give you a few points!!

*8/10/13
Message 9 of 12
abarcla1
New Contributor

The letter came!!!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.