Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fair scores poor payment history

tag
Comeback2021

Fair scores poor payment history

Hello all, 

I need some help. *Long thread* 

I had made some mistakes in the past 2 years using the loan modification programs not fully understanding what it is and more importantly the impact. On my mortgage and personal loan I did loan modifications to try and bring down my monthly payments. I never missed payments but rather made the agreed "trial payments" for the trial period. These were categorized as lates. The trial payments are 3 months long meaning by the time it was over I was 90 days late, that's 6 late payments in 2 accounts. The personal loan account had to restart the trial due to some sort of internal issue making the total lates 9. This same personal loan did not reset my status and continued to report me late for months after completing the trial. This error was reported only to TransUnion and not the other 2 agencies. 

I have disputed this over and over showing proof of my email confirmations of payments before during and after. Each dispute has failed and they refuse to make any corrections outside of the expected impact. 

Long story short this went on for months before doubling payments for several months to somehow get ahead. I've been current on all accounts for 2 or more years for most accounts and and just shy of 2 years only one account. 

Since transunion took the major reporting hit my score has remained flat for almost a year and a half around 580~. Even with good payment habits and low utilization, no inquiries it will not move (for the mortgage models not vantage scores), my other two scores are climbing to the 700's. I make a really good salary but it means almost nothing with my current situation. 

My question: how long should I expect for my credit to be basically useless? What can I do to try and qualify for a mortgage or anything for that matter? I know we shouldn't be applying for things if we want a mortgage but I'm unsure how to gauge where I am generally for qualifying. I've been able to refinance my car and get some low limit credit cards but for example, I got denied for both the Wayfair store card and credit card. I would like to buy my next home next year as we just sold our home but I don't think I'll be in the right place in time. I've heard 2 years no payment hiccups on all accounts and the payment history is almost a non-factor. 

Thanks to all in advance. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: Fair scores poor payment history

I know on my credit reports in the payments section one sub section is " how many late payments in the last 12 months "

Then theres a sub category " how many lates more than 12 months old.

If i were you i would start building a positive payment history right now.

some cc's i got early in my rebuild when my scores were in the toilet,

Fingerhut - If you have a pulse they will approve you.

Target Red Card

Kohls card

Ikea

Big Lots

Firestone Auto [ easy peasy

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 4
Comeback2021

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

I know on my credit reports in the payments section one sub section is " how many late payments in the last 12 months "

Then theres a sub category " how many lates more than 12 months old.

If i were you i would start building a positive payment history right now.

some cc's i got early in my rebuild when my scores were in the toilet,

Fingerhut - If you have a pulse they will approve you.

Target Red Card

Kohls card

Ikea

Big Lots

Firestone Auto [ easy peasy

Thanks. I agree with that approach. I actually got the Self card which has been great. I think I'm doing the right things and may just need to let the clock run a little longer maybe 6 -12 months. 

Message 3 of 4
satio
Frequent Contributor

@Comeback2021 wrote:

I have disputed this over and over showing proof of my email confirmations of payments before during and after. Each dispute has failed and they refuse to make any corrections outside of the expected impact. 

Are the disputes you refer to only with Transunion or have you been in touch with the lender(s) themselves?

If you don't mind sharing, who are the lender(s)?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.