Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family member credit card mixup?

tag
Michael982
Contributor

Family member credit card mixup?

Me and my brother were both born in Europe and came to the US when we were young. Therefore, we were issued sequential social security numbers. We have similar name, work for the same company and live in the same house. Problem is now our name are alias on each others reports. His chase and capital one cards are showing on my report and so are his inquiries. Is there any advice on getting past this, I tried calling the bureau but they seem dumb-founded. Can i legally change my social to differentiate us?

Freedom$6,000 CSP$11,000 IT$4,000 BCE$16,200 SallieMae$5,000 NFCU$14,000 Macys$1,000 United$5,000

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Family member credit card mixup?

@Michael982 wrote:

Me and my brother were both born in Europe and came to the US when we were young. Therefore, we were issued sequential social security numbers. We have similar name, work for the same company and live in the same house. Problem is now our name are alias on each others reports. His chase and capital one cards are showing on my report and so are his inquiries. Is there any advice on getting past this, I tried calling the bureau but they seem dumb-founded. Can i legally change my social to differentiate us?

You do have a problem, SS is not a top priority identifier to tag a TL to an individuals CR, its 6th in line as an identifier. Main ones are name & address, then employer. Short of one of you moving to a different address or using a legal alias to obtain credit its going to be an ongoing problem, especially with the SS only 1 number off.  I would write to the CRAs and explain what is going on and dipute the accounts that belong to your sibling as someone with similar name at the same address. If they are unable to get it right you can enlist the help of the CFPB by filing a complaint on the CRAs. I have never seen this problem before something new everyday I learn. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.