Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Father sending delinquent accounts to me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Father sending delinquent accounts to me

I believe my father, who has the same name as myself, is referring delinquent accounts to my address.  I am getting collection notices, doctor bills and other medicare letters for him. Some of these are with creditors I have with perfect payment history and I'm worrying about getting tied with him.  When I put "return to sender/doesn't live here," it gets remailed to me because I am the same name. 

He refuses to take my phone calls and tells my mom that I shouldn't worry about it. 

I am assuming this hasn't crossed the line of identity theft yet but I am worried that is the next step.  He is an attorney so it's not like I'd have the money to fight him in court when he can do it for free for himself.  

Is there anything I can do besides freezing the three bureaus?  Should I freeze my chexsystems and EWS (not sure if that's possible) and how hard is it to unfreeze them if I need to?  I'm currently applying for a better job than I have right now and I don't want any surprises.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Father sending delinquent accounts to me

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe my father, who has the same name as myself, is referring delinquent accounts to my address.  I am getting collection notices, doctor bills and other medicare letters for him. Some of these are with creditors I have with perfect payment history and I'm worrying about getting tied with him.  When I put "return to sender/doesn't live here," it gets remailed to me because I am the same name. 

He refuses to take my phone calls and tells my mom that I shouldn't worry about it. 

I am assuming this hasn't crossed the line of identity theft yet but I am worried that is the next step.  He is an attorney so it's not like I'd have the money to fight him in court when he can do it for free for himself.  

Is there anything I can do besides freezing the three bureaus?  Should I freeze my chexsystems and EWS (not sure if that's possible) and how hard is it to unfreeze them if I need to?  I'm currently applying for a better job than I have right now and I don't want any surprises.

Geez... that's terrible, I'm sorry.   Yes.  Freeze everything (maybe even add a fraud alert, JIC) --- you can freeze chexsystems - go to their website for more info-- they work similarly to CB freezes -- you get a PIN to unfreeze when needed and you can do so online.  I'm not sure about EWS but I'm sure you can call or visit the website to find out.   I say freeze everyhing because, as awful as this sounds, if he's willing to send debt collectors after you, then what's stopping him from using your info to open new credit?  

Is your middle name different than your Dad's?  If so, I suggest you begin using it (the full name, not just the initial) and if you can add it to all existing accounts as well, do so -- and all IDs too.  This will better distinguish you from your Dad.

I'm sure other, more knowledgeable folks will chime in with additional advice, but that's what I'd do right off the bat...    Best of luck to you. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

He may have the same name. But not the same social security number. Call the CA's and ask what they have for the last 4 digits of these accounts or the OC's who turned them over to the CA's.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely put a fraud alert with the three credit reporting bureaus, maybe a freeze.

I'd document everything and keep it in case you need to involve the police.

@Anonymous wrote:

He is an attorney so it's not like I'd have the money to fight him in court when he can do it for free for himself.  

^ all of this is a very stupid thing for an attorney to do.. Attorneys are held to a higher standard of ethics are held to a higher standard as members of the bar and officers of court. You could potentially file a complaint with the state bar and he'd be investigated by them.

If I were in your shoes I'd pay a few hundred for my attorney to send a cease and desist letter to good ole dad. Keep that and all the mail. Document communications.

Message 4 of 10
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

I can chime in here being I have the same exact name as my father minus our suffix which we never use. I've gotten his stuff mailed to me and vica versa and nothing was worse for wear because of it.

Unless something is done maliciously using your social security number there is nothing to worry about.

Sorry about your situation also, but it's probably a good idea to seek legal advice on this matter as well because if it does turn malicious you want to be out in front of it.

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

1)  File a police report.  I know it is your own father and it is something that may not come easy but it is a necessary evil.  This could potentially save your rump down the road.

2)  Place fraud alerts with the bureaus followed by freezing anything you can even with smaller bureaus(yes you can freeze Chex).  This could be just the start of things so put the fire out now before it is beyond your control.

3)  It may be extreme measures but in the future you may have to consider other options.  I'm not sure where you live but you may want to consider at least changing your middle name.  Most counties have their own probate courts that can legally do this for you and you certainly don't need a lawyer.  I'm not "recommending" this route but keep this option in your memory if you run out of options.  It's your financial well being and I do recommend you protect it at all costs. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I’ve ordered my chexsystems report today. I put in the mail to early warning systems and lexis nexus for them to mail my report to me (I couldn’t find an online option, so mailed the necessary form and photo ID).

My spouse has suggested I legally change my first name so I am doing some thinking about that.

I have a phone appointment with an attorney on Monday that is free to see if she thinks I need to meet for a paid appointment.

Thank you for the advice. It is all so frustrating.
Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The real issue that must be addressed is whether the creditors are incorrectly addressing the mail, or whether your father is receiving the mail, and as stated in the post, is then "referring" the mail to you.

Very different issues...........

Message 8 of 10
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Have you reached out the the creditors... and asked them to verify?

Check the last 4 of social...

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I reached out discover who said they couldn’t discuss the account with me since my social is different but the supervisor did tell me that the customer (father) did give them my address as theirs after the account was already opened. I was told it wouldn’t have any bearing on my own discover account.

The attorney’s office told me to not call anyone else until I talk to the attorney on Monday.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.