cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fear of score dropping after Paying off installment loan.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fear of score dropping after Paying off installment loan.

I have one payment left to pay off an installment loan and I spoke to someone at the finance company and she said to be prepared for my score to drop. I had 4 open unsecured installment loans and paid one off about 6 weeks ago.(My score didn't drop). This one is due to pay off this month. Ive been paying down my cc's for the past 3 months and I'm down to 31% from about 70%. I have been able to raise my scores 35-45 points and don't want to jeopardize the progress I've made.
I feel like I need to give more information to get a good answer but I don't know what info I need to give .
That being said, is there somewhere in the forums one could post their credit report info (good and negative info along with current open accounts and scores, length of accounts etc. So it can be analyzed and get guidance on what steps to take?
I am learning alot but I still feel so unsure of what steps I need to take.
We are working on getting a home loan and there were a few issues that needed to be corrected before we could get approved. They have been addressed and now we are waiting for the info to update.
Thank you ahead of time for any help/good info/advice.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Fear of score dropping after Paying off installment loan.

@Anonymous wrote:
I have one payment left to pay off an installment loan and I spoke to someone at the finance company and she said to be prepared for my score to drop. I had 4 open unsecured installment loans and paid one off about 6 weeks ago.(My score didn't drop). This one is due to pay off this month. Ive been paying down my cc's for the past 3 months and I'm down to 31% from about 70%. I have been able to raise my scores 35-45 points and don't want to jeopardize the progress I've made.
I feel like I need to give more information to get a good answer but I don't know what info I need to give .
That being said, is there somewhere in the forums one could post their credit report info (good and negative info along with current open accounts and scores, length of accounts etc. So it can be analyzed and get guidance on what steps to take?
I am learning alot but I still feel so unsure of what steps I need to take.
We are working on getting a home loan and there were a few issues that needed to be corrected before we could get approved. They have been addressed and now we are waiting for the info to update.
Thank you ahead of time for any help/good info/advice.

As long as you will still have at least one open installment loan, your score won't drop.

Once you pay off your last loan, that's when it will take a hit.. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is quite a relief! I will still have 2 open installment loans that are $1700. And $3800.00 not to mention 2 vehicle loans. So it won't be anytime too soon that I'll have them paid off but by that time my credit score should be alot higher anyway. Thank you for your reply!
Message 3 of 5
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

I just payed off an installment loan and still have one open, my score dropped on all 3 bureaus ranging from 2 to 6 points. Not a huge drop but a drop none the less.
Mine was because the loan I currently have is newer and is carrying a larger UTI% due to age and amount still owed. YMMV hope it works out in the positive for you. All the best.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! 3 points is disappointing but not devastating. 20 points however, would be! I'm just going to do whats right and pay on time and hope for the best. I'll have 2 loans left. One is 3 yrs old and the other 9 months. Crossing fingers.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.