cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling good today - Settling old debts.

tag
gibeon
Established Contributor

Feeling good today - Settling old debts.

I know this is anathema to the usual routine of fighting old debt tooth and nail once it goes to collections, but I'm feeling really good today. In the last week I've settled about $5000 in old charge offs for about $2500. I only have $1500 left to go (hopefully they will settle for $800ish) in COs from back when I was laid off!

Today I'm feeling good because I took care of the largest one, $2400 with USAA for $840. I know it will read as "paid in full for less than owed" or something similar, but I can live with that for the next few years. (Especially if it means that I will be able to use the full USAA website. That mobile site is killing me.)

I would really like to be able to pay in full for all of these, but I just can't afford that. I figure this will help at least somewhat with recons in the future, as my derogs will at least show "settled" and I won't have any OPEN collections. 

What I'm looking forward to most though is being able to answer the phone without worrying about unknown numbers... it's been a long time since I've been able to do that.

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

Re: Feeling good today - Settling old debts.

(((((congrats!!))))  you will def sleep better tonight!! Smiley Happy)

Message 2 of 3
gibeon
Established Contributor

Re: Feeling good today - Settling old debts.

@damnedanddetermined wrote:

(((((congrats!!))))  you will def sleep better tonight!! Smiley Happy)

Thanks!

I coudn't resist waiting, and now I'm going to sleep EXTRA GOOD!  I was on a roll so I just took care of the last $1500 by paying $815.

Now I just have to get a bogus Comcast account deleted, and I WILL have ZERO open collections. I don't ever want to go through this again... or have to wait 7 years for things to "fall off."

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.