cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally got my score from bad to good... now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally got my score from bad to good... now what?

Looking for help from some of you who have been through rebuilding credit with success. I started monitoring my credit about 2 years ago when I had a score in the low 500's. I opened a s secured credit card with a small limit and kept my utilization low and fought creditors and collection agencies to remove inaccurate info from my report. I pulled all 3 of my FICO scores for the 1st time recently, and was elated to find out my score had improved drastically and am in the "good" credit score range. I also just got approved for my first unsecured credit card with a really large limit.

I want to reach my goal of 720 soon and am wondering what's next? Do I apply for more cards or just keep the 2 I have and keep the utilization low? I have a car payment and i plan on making every payment on time no matter what as late payments are hurting my score the most. Do I open more lines of credit or just be patient with my 2 cards and timely payments on accounts?
4 REPLIES 4
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Re: Finally got my score from bad to good... now what?

Apply for one more credit card which you feel eligible for with the perks of your choice. With 3 cards, you can practice AZEO (all zero except one). Keep one card below 8% utilization and the rest at 0. The initial inquiry may lower your score, but AZEO and an additional aged card will boost your score significantly in the long term.
Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any suggestions for which card I should get (3rd card) and does it matter that I just applied for my 2nd one? Hasn't even come in the mail yet
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your rebuild! If you still have any late payments showing, I would write goodwill letters to those companies and see if they will remove them for you. I have no card advice though, but good luck ☺
Message 4 of 5
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

For cash back cards:
Citi DoubleCash: 2% on everything, no AF or Chase Freedom: 5% categories, no AF.

Travel cards:
Amex Gold PR: 3x travel and 2x dining, groceries and gas.
Chase Sapphire Preferred: 2x travel and dining

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.