Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finance Company Woes

tag
800scoreaspirations
Valued Member

Finance Company Woes

Hopefully I am posting this on the correct forum.  Let me start from the beginning. I bought a car in 2002 and the dealership that I purchased my vehicle from went out of business.  They transferred my account to Vis Auto Finance with my knowledge and I began making my payments to them.  Eventually this company went ouf of business and transferred my account to Seawest Financial.  I began making my payments to them, but eventually they went out of business, without my knowledge.  I continued to make payments to this company.  When I found out that they went out of business I set up an escrow account and put my payments in that.  I saw on my credit report that they transferred my account to CPS, and I contacted them.  I contacted them in 2004 and they told me that they no longer had my account.  They told me that they would send me information about who had my account, and they never did.  Seawest financial and CPS are both reporting on my credit report.  Seawest is reporting that I am 90 days late and CPS are reporting that I am 120 days late.  Both are reporting the same $8000, so it appears that I owe a sum total of $16000.  Can a finance company just transfer your account without you knowledge and consent?  Can both of them report the same information?  What steps can I take to clear this information?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Finance Company Woes

You need to read your contract to see what it says about transferring accounts.

I know when a mortgage is sold, all lenders report it, but they must report it accurately.

Are they reporting that they sold the account?

Message 2 of 3
800scoreaspirations
Valued Member

Re: Finance Company Woes

Seawest financial just says transferred, but it is saying that I was 90 days late, and that is inaccurate.  I was always current.  With CPS they say that I am 120 days late, but I never received any sort of notice that they had my account.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.