Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finish first self lender? Now what

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finish first self lender? Now what

I have 4 credit cards, total CL is $30k, very low utilization (like 5%), my score is 743, no other installment loan beside self lender. I will finish my first self lender on may 2019. 

What is my option to have installment loans in my credit report. Should i do second self lender for 24 months?

I tried the alliant unsecured loan but they denied me. Dont know what is other option? 

My goal is to have credit score near 780. 

Thank you so much

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Re: Finish first self lender? Now what

That's a tough call. Are you looking to do anything in particular in the short term that warrants a 780 credit score or are you looking to get a 780 score just because you want a 780 score?

I'm sure I'll be faced with this decision at some point.  Do I just let the chips fall where they may, or do I spend money that I don't really have just because my score looks good on paper?

I guess that part about the FICO scoring system I think is unfair.. You maintain a mortgage for 30 years, pay 100,000.00 in interest and as soon as you pay it off, you get penalized for having no open installments.

I also have a self lender account and I'm paying 10.69% interest.. 10.69% on my own money to establish credit,,,

I also opened a secured accout with my current bank and the interest is only 3%.. So I would suggest opening a secured account with a bank if you want to go directly into another secured loan.

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just hate the dipping points for not having installment loan. I just like the 780 score threshold. In the next 4 years, i plan to have mortgage so it is nice to keep good score until then.

Message 3 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Yeah its nice. There are some on here (cant remember who) who dont even have a installment loan and still in the 800's. Tough decision. Good Luck!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a Mortgage in 2012 with a 720 score at 3.75%.

In my opinion, I wouldn't pay interest on another installment loan just to have it on the score if you can already get the best rates by being over 700+, unless your preferred lender is asking for that super high score.
Message 5 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  Your scores are high enough now where you dont need to play reindeer with scoring 

Points gets lost when loan is paid off, but closed loan still contributes to credit mix. 

If you get another loan, you can expect another score drop (new account penalty, fully utilized loan, damage to AAoA). By the time your scores recover, it will be closed again. 

If you get another loan, eventually you'll get that artificial inflation, but that will go away, too. Then, should you go for a third one, even more damages. So, your chase for 780 will be the thing preventing you from maintaining 780. 

Best thing you can do is let the time do it's thing. You have 10 new accounts in the last six months, two of which in the last two months. . That's a lot and that's keeping your scores suppressed. If you allow youngest to reach a year, you would see at least 20 point gain. 

I'd slow my roll if I were you 

For the reference, my scores range from 760 to 770, without an active loan and with three infant accounts. 

Good luck! 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.