Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Post

tag
Oakland915
Established Member

First Post

Hello Everyone My name is Rudy and I'm working on repairing my credit. Don't really know how it works but I know I'm in the right place. I just checked my scores and their are: EQ: 636; TU: 639. I have the option to redeem the Experian Report but it's telling me I did already. But, I haven't pulled the Experian. What can I do for this so that I can see the scores? I don't have any credit cards of my own. I'm just an authorized user on my wife credit card. What can I do to build up my score? What would be a good credit card to start with? Thanks for all the help and support
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Post

Welcome. Well the first thing I would do is find out what my FICO (not Credit Karma ) scores are and obtain my credit reports. To get really good guidance on this forum, it is best to post you current FICO scores, current utilzation, collections/derogatory accounts, installments and average age of accounts. Also what your short term goals are....Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 21
Oakland915
Established Member

I signed up for the fico subscription and my scores are EQ: 636 and TU 639.  I have to contact fico tomorrow to find out why i can't access Experian.   Short term goals: Need a vehicle but doubt if my scores are good enough.  So, I want to work on this.  And also to get a card to help me build a good credit history

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fairly new as well but based on what I've read here, u want 2-3 revolving accounts (CCs) and an installment loan (student loans, auto, personal) to cover ure bases. Then keep one card reporting less than 10% of the limit every month while the other two report 0. However make sure u use them to ensure they aren't closed. Most people seem like they set up a cable bill or phone bill on autopayment then pay it off immediately.
Message 4 of 21
Oakland915
Established Member

Are there any credit cards out there that I might be approved for based on my scores. 

Message 5 of 21
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Have you tried the Cap 1 prequal site yet?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 21
Oakland915
Established Member

I had an account with Cap One before and messed it up. 

Message 7 of 21
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

@Oakland915 wrote:

I had an account with Cap One before and messed it up. 

How long ago?  They are a VERY forgiving company if it's been over a year since it was charged off.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have some money ($300-$1000) that you can tie up for a while in a secured card?

The reason I ask is because outside of Capital One, there aren't any good cards that are likely to look at you and you don't want to go to the bad cards if you don't have to. NFCU can be one card, but if you try for them and get denied, you'll want to open a secured card ($500) with them instead. If you get approved, then you can get a secured Discover or BOA card.

If you can't tie up that much money, then you may need to go with store cards to fill out your 3-card starting roster.

Message 9 of 21
Oakland915
Established Member

Yes, it's been over a year

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.