cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Premier card stolen then charge-off... what would you do?

tag
lundungurl
New Contributor

First Premier card stolen then charge-off... what would you do?

Hello,

I had a first Premier card that was stolen, ran up to $250 and then charged-off. I did report it stolen and had the police come take a report but that's as far as it went. I do not have a police report number or anything. Only that I've reported it stolen to the CRA's and First Premier. The SOL will be over February 2013. Should I just leave it or send First Premier a GW letter. I have not paid the charge off so does a GW apply here? Any advice would be great. I'm not sure if First Premier will delete the tradeline but that is what I'm hoping for and since they should be able to go back in thier records and see that it waa stolen way back in 2007 or so, maybe they will just go ahead and delete. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing or know of any good contacts. Thanks

Starting FICO's (9/26/2011) EX 586, EQ 575, TU 584
Goal: 650 across the board
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First Premier card stolen then charge-off... what would you do?

For clarity, did you report it stolen to First Premier? If so, what happened from that and did you dispute any charges?

At the least, get a copy of the police report. Sounds like this happened a number of years ago if SOL is expiring soon, but the police will still have records.

If I told First Premier that it was stolen, and they failed to close out the account and never re-issued a new card, then I personally would dispute with a copy of the police report.

Message 2 of 9
lundungurl
New Contributor

Yes, it was several years ago. The police came and one officer took out a little spiral note pad (3"X5") and basically just took down my name and number and maybe a brief description. I never heard from them after that and I just kinda forgot about it. They did close the account but it had a balance because it was used before I realized it was gone. It's listed as a charge-off on my credit report.

Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming the balance is not as a result of the theft, then mail them a PFD letter. If they agree in writing, then pay it and they'll delete. If a balance was due prior to the theft on the card, then that balance can certainly increase over the years as interest and late fees get added.

If the balance is due to the theft, and you are 100% certain they never refunded you or credited the theft amount (assuming it was changed), then that needs to be corrected. A dispute might work with the police report as mentioned or call First PRemier.

Message 4 of 9
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@lundungurl wrote:

Yes, it was several years ago. The police came and one officer took out a little spiral note pad (3"X5") and basically just took down my name and number and maybe a brief description. I never heard from them after that and I just kinda forgot about it. They did close the account but it had a balance because it was used before I realized it was gone. It's listed as a charge-off on my credit report.

There 100% will be a police report. There will be records all over the place of the call, the report, what time you called, who came out, who reported ect ect.. They have to keep real tight records, alot of precincts even keep the milage a cop drives, and has to radio when he leaves and departs,. get that information, and it is done with.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 9
lundungurl
New Contributor

Thanks everyone, solid advice. I will call in the morning and hopefully I can get a copy of the report mailed to me. I hope so because all the info I have for the police to look up is my name and address at the time. I don't remember the month or day of the report. 

Message 6 of 9
destiny36912
New Contributor

Same thing happen to me.. I'm disputing right now with First Premier. I have the credit report that says it was lost/stolen and now its gone with a new acct number. They never sent me a new card or anything so I'm not sure how they reinstated the acct after the card was stolen/lost without my consent. Please keep us posted, if you don't mind.. Thank you!

Starting Score: 651
Current Score: 677
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 9
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

You are not responsible for purchases made with a stolen CC but you do have to notify them in a reasonable period of time and it's a good policy to do so by phone and in writing as soon as you see fraud on a statement or online. By law, you need to notify the CC issuer, not just the police. They are the ones that can most easily track down bogus purchases and check signatures. If you don't notify them you do become legally responsible for fraudulent charges after a period of time.

I don't understand how you let it charge off.  You would have to ignore letters from them and it would indicate eiher they didn't get notification that your card was stolen or didn't believe it was stolen after looking into it.  In the latter case they have to notify you of their determination and possibly request additional information..  I'm pretty flakey at times but when my card was cloned I was on it like white on rice. Being proactive about card theft helps reduce it and makes your case more credible as well.

EtoA:

First Premier is the lowest of the low CC issuers. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could spit. If I had a FP card that was stolen I would not only notify them by phone but send a RRR letter as well. Then read every correspondence.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You have apparently not yet taken advantage of the identity theft provisions of the FCRA.

Once you have a copy of the prior police report, or obtain a new one, you can immediately send it to the CRA and compel the blocking of the reported information in your CR under the provisions of FCRA 605B.  Gone from your CR.

You can also send a copy of the police report to the creditor, and compel them to provide you all business records related to the account under FCRA 609(e).  You then will obtain information to dispute the matter, removing yourself from having to prove a negative.

Finally, you can send a copy to the debt collector under the provisions of FCRA 615(g), and compel them to "provide to the consumer all information to which the consumer would otherwise be entitled if the consumer were not the victim of identity theft, but wished to dispute the debt under the provisions of law applicable to that person."

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.