Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time on forum.. HELP please :)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First time on forum.. HELP please :)

Hello,

I have been browsing the forums for the past couple of months and they have been so helpful. I had a question about rebuilding my credit and would love some input! When I was about 18-19 I accumulated a bunch of credit cards and it became an addiction. Eventually, I was spending beyond my means and defaulted on some of my cards. As of now I have (6) collection accounts still unpaid, (14) PAID collections, 2-5 inquiries depending on the credit bureau. No judgements or bankruptcies. Luckily, I was in a position where I could still keep some of my payments up to date and I have paid off some of those cards this week. My good standing accounts are as follows:

Capital One CL $1170, $0 balance. (Had two capital one cards and was able to consolidate the credit limits after paying them off)

Discover CL $1500, $0 balance

Amazon Chase CL $500, $380 balance

Best Buy Credit Card CL $500, $370 balance

Target CL $400, $380 balance

Fingerhut CL $1500, $434 balance

Victoria's Secret CL $650, $450 balance

I'll be paying off my remaining credit card debt in May and only using them to pay bills and groceries and paying off in full. 

My questions are, should I apply for a secured Discover card to keep the momentum with credit building? Or do I have enough credit cards to rebuild? My husband and I are hoping to buy our first house next year and are trying to build scores quickly. Is there anything else I should be doing that would help? I also need some guidance on my husband's credit but I figure one step at a time. I appreciate anybody's input and willingness to read my post Smiley Happy

Current Scores:

Experian 600, Transunion 598, Equifax 580

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thRe: First time on forum.. HELP please :)

I forgot to mention that my current scores are with my cards maxed out. I'm hoping for a good jump once the credit bureaus update the balances.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time on forum.. HELP please :)

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have been browsing the forums for the past couple of months and they have been so helpful. I had a question about rebuilding my credit and would love some input! When I was about 18-19 I accumulated a bunch of credit cards and it became an addiction. Eventually, I was spending beyond my means and defaulted on some of my cards. As of now I have (6) collection accounts still unpaid, (14) PAID collections, 2-5 inquiries depending on the credit bureau. No judgements or bankruptcies. Luckily, I was in a position where I could still keep some of my payments up to date and I have paid off some of those cards this week. My good standing accounts are as follows:

Capital One CL $1170, $0 balance. (Had two capital one cards and was able to consolidate the credit limits after paying them off)

Discover CL $1500, $0 balance

Amazon Chase CL $500, $380 balance

Best Buy Credit Card CL $500, $370 balance

Target CL $400, $380 balance

Fingerhut CL $1500, $434 balance

Victoria's Secret CL $650, $450 balance

I'll be paying off my remaining credit card debt in May and only using them to pay bills and groceries and paying off in full. 

My questions are, should I apply for a secured Discover card to keep the momentum with credit building? Or do I have enough credit cards to rebuild? My husband and I are hoping to buy our first house next year and are trying to build scores quickly. Is there anything else I should be doing that would help? I also need some guidance on my husband's credit but I figure one step at a time. I appreciate anybody's input and willingness to read my post Smiley Happy

Current Scores:

Experian 600, Transunion 598, Equifax 580

I would apply for a second Capital One card. Sock drawer all those store cards. How old is your most recent late payment?

Message 3 of 7
stellar
Established Contributor

Try PFD's on the unpaid collections.  GW letters on the paid ones.  Be persistent.  Keep calling/letters/emails at least once a month.

Pay off all your balances, as you planned.  Keep one card reporting 1-9% balance on credit report for max points.

I would not apply for anything else until your report is cleaned up and not at all if you are getting a mortgage in 6m-1y.

Message 4 of 7
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

There is no need for a secured discover since you have an unsecured discover.  Get your balances down and keep them down.  You collections are going to have to be taken care of before the mortgage app.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response! My most recent late payment is from 2014.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice everybody. I think I'll put the applications on hold and keep working on getting rid of the negatives. These forums are loaded with helpful information and helpful experts on building. So glad I found it!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.