Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fleuriste's Short and Long Term Goals

tag
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

Fleuriste's Short and Long Term Goals

A little background about myself.  The first time I had any awareness about credit scores was in 1999.  I bought my first house and in the process of applying for the mortgage, I learned I had a credit score over 800.  (I can't remember what it was, but I think 826.  It was the highest score my brother ever saw, and he is a mortgage broker.) I got married, converted that house to a rental and moved in with my husband.  My husband is notsogreat with credit.  I had no idea.  We purchased a home together and moved.  We weren't ready to sell our other house, so we took out second mortgages on that home and a vacation home to come up with the down payment.  A few years later, my husband was unable to work for six months.  We have separate bank accounts, and he was in charge of paying the two seconds and I was in charge of our home mortgage.  He wasn't able to continue to make payments and hid that from me.  Our old home was foreclosed on.  The vacation home got a couple of lates, but was spared.  

I guess I should have paid more attention when one of my cards was dropped from a $20K limit to $600 that something was amiss. But it was in the midst of all the credit tightening and I didn't much care.  I've always used credit cards like debit cards.  I've never paid what I don't have.  I switched from using credit at all to just paying cash or using debit.  

Two years after the foreclosure, I applied with my credit union for an auto loan.  That is when I found out about the foreclosure.  Unbelievable.  Amazingly, I still got the car loan, which turned out to be a great choice for rebuilding credit even if I was unwittingly doing that.  I paid off the five year loan in 4.25 years.   

Fast forward to last October. A friend recommended that I apply for a rewards card so I could afford to travel with my family.  Sounded like a great idea.  I applied for and got a Chase Sapphire Preferred with a $9K CL, bringing my total CL on revolving credit to $9600.  I was so excited, that a month later, I applied for and was denied the Chase Ink Plus.  This was the first denial of a credit card ever.  Since the November HP, I haven't applied for any credit.  I did set up a Chase Business Checking account in December and have my rents automatically deposited via ACH.  So at least Chase now has a record of my business revenues.

In December, I pulled my head out of the sand and started using Credit Karma.  I found 9 collections stemming from a car I sold. The subsequent owner got 8 parking tickets and then the car was towed.  Total amount was $4K.  I disputed all the tickets and my score shot up.  I knew the towing one was going to be harder, so I was working on getting proof of transfer of ownership.  At that point, my husband made a mistake and got a 30-59 late on the vacation home.  Ugh.  

My husband wrote a letter to the creditor about the towing collection explaining that it wasn't my debt and threatened to sue for slander of credit.  That collection was removed from the credit reports.  I'm left with one recent 30-59, which we are going to try to get removed, which is dated January 2016.  I have two 120s from the vacation home that will fall off in January 2017.  The foreclosure has aged off my reports.

Here are my short term goals:

1.  Refi Jumbo loan to a 30 year fixed.  It is adjustable now, which has been fine, but want the security of a fixed.  We only plan to live here 4 more years, but fixed would give us the flexibility to stay a little longer if we wanted to.  I feel like I really shouldn't attempt this until January or February 2017, even if I get that 30-59 removed sooner than that.  I want to qualify for the jumbo on my own financials and not use my husbands income, and therefor, less than ideal credit.  

2.  I want the following credit cards in order of priority:  Chase Ink Plus, Citi Costco, Chase Freedom, Chase United. I really want the Citi Costco, but I'm afraid that it will delay me getting approved for the Chase cards that I need.  The goal is to get my family of 4 to Europe.   I have about 96K points and I'll need at least 240K to get the RT tickets to get there. I have 3 HPs in the last 24 months (2 from Chase, one from Directv.)

3.  Get all scores over 750

4. Get remaining co-signed loan for vacation property out of my name so I am in control of my own credit.

Long term goals:

1.  Get my credit scores over 800 and keep them there.

2.  Hopefully help my husband repair his credit.  

If you have read through this novel, you get a cookie and my appreciation.  Any advice/input is welcome.  

Current Scores:  FICO 8: EQ 715, TU743, EX 762

Starting FICO 8's (7/2016) EQ 715|| TU 743 || EX 762
Current FICO 8's (10/2022) EQ 838|| TU 828|| EX 826
Goal FICO 8's: 780 across the board - Goal met 9/2018;
Next Goal FICO 8's: 800 across the board - Goal met 10/2022
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fleuriste's Short and Long Term Goals

No offense towards your husband but I'd take over making sure that your mortgage (and any other items that can impact your credit) gets paid until he gets better at remembering to pay things. Some people just aren't good at bill paying. Other than that your plans sound good
Message 2 of 7
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

I take no offense about my husband, he really doesn't care about his credit and I realize that I can't change that or him. I've got online access to the loan now so I monitor the payments and remind him when necessary.  I can't actually pay it myself because if I'm going to qualify for the jumbo loan on my own, the source of funds for the mortgage has to come from his account.  I'm pushing to sell the vacation home which would resolve the last cosign that I'm worried about.  

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then why not just log into the account and pay it yourself? And How do you hide a foreclosure from a homeowner anyways?

Just remember what Einstein said.... The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results 

Message 4 of 7
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

The mailing address for the mortgage that was foreclosed went to his office instead of our home.  I never saw any notices. 

I don't have access to his bank accounts and he doesn't have access to mine.  If I pay the money from my account, then it hurts my chances of doing the jumbo refi in my own name because the debt on that home will count against me.  The payments for the vacation mortgage have to come from his account only.  

If I cosigned a loan, I agree that would be insane.  It won't happen again.  Getting my name off that loan is a priority.  In the meantime, I closely monitor.  

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do I pick up my cookie? ^_^

Sounds like you're on the right track. I hope your husband can learn some responsibility and accountability from you. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

Thanks, @lowkeyorca!  I'd be nice if this was an area he cared about. But I'm thinking this is an old dog/new trick scenario. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.