Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floating v. Swimming in the deep end

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Floating v. Swimming in the deep end

After many, many hours of reading forums, countless open tabs, and google searches - I think I'm ready to ask for input on what my best course of action(s) will be for getting my credit report to a healthier place. My goal isn't percisely defined, I just don't be held back by the wreckage I have created while in a spirial of unfortunate circumstances and extreme hardship... At least so it's there to build on when I'm ready, or for a mortgage or something in the upcoming years. It's not a race, it's a marathon... right?

TU (484): 

Total Open Accts - 13

> Portfolio Associates Recovery $848

11/2016 UNPAID (SOL exceeded)

> Portfolio Associates Recovery $980

02/2018 UNPAID (SOL exceeded) -- This acct has the same DOFD as the one above. Unsure of why they didn't open collections on it until two years later... Well, maybe I do. Anyways...

> Dept of Ed/Nelnet $55k

There are 11 accounts/FSL loans open under them. Unfortunately, I managed to rack up 6 late payments on all 11 of them 10/2018 - 3/2019. So, 66 (of my 70 total) late payments are a result of this. There was a retroactive deferrment granted effective 1/2019. While my BK 13 was ordered to be dismissed 5/2018 by the trustee, I have documentation  the case wasn't "closed" until 8/2018... I'm going to see if this will extend the BK forbearance, which would put first 90 day late to be reported on 1/2019. Ideally, disputing with CRA showing documentation for retro derferment will take care of those. I hope, at least. If not, I'll go for the FTC advisory opinion of Section 623(a)(2) of the FRCA to Nelnet following the CRA dispute attempt. 

Total Closed Accts - 4

> MGLW (Utility Bill in TN where I filed BK) $211

8/2018 UNPAID     Acct type listed as "Other"

> First Premier Secured $99

2/2018 UNPAID and I just got a CA letter for this debt yesterday which I made a hefty validation request for

(balance was only $27 at DOFD 4/2018, ugh)

> SYNCB/Belk $0

$317 PAID IN FULL on 8/2015 (30 days after CO)

Sent GW Letter (no response)

> Barclays $0

$2284 PAID IN FULL on 2/2015 (90 days after CO)

Inquiries - 14

11 of these will fall off by 1/2020

Public Records - 1

> DISMISSED Chapter 13 BK 

2/2018 - 5/2018

Also, I'd just like to note that this was filed in a state I "lived" in for a whooping 110 days... I know that doesn't *change* anything... Just adds some context to, idk, maybe accuricies or inaccuricies that could be brought into question in future or something? And after this dismissal, QUITE a few accts didn't reappear on my credit reports... and it's been over a year. I've lost so many files that I couldn't even tell you everyone that's simply not reporting after word of my filing.

Note: I do have the list of accounts/creditors that my BK lawyer sent noticies out to... If that could be helpful - I'm not sure. Just information, if needed.

EQ (514):

Total Open Accts - 11

> Dept of Ed Loans

Total Closed Accts - 9

> MGLW

> Portfolio AR

> Portfolio AR

> First Premier

> Barclays

> SYNCB/Belk

> Franklin Collections Services $38

4/2019 UNPAID 

> University (Perkins) Student Loans (2)

$1782 and $7018 both say "Collections Acct" although no CA reporting on them to CRA.

Inquiries: 26

Again, about 23 fall off 1/2020

Public Records:

EX (581):

Total Accts Closed - 18

> Dept of Ed 

All 11 of them are listed as closed (still) - I disputed this in July, and while they are still listed "closed" the updated results of the CRA dispute gave me a 50 point boost!

> MGLW

> Portfolio AR

> Portfolio AR

> SYNCB/Belk

> Barclays

> First Premier

> Franklin CS

> IC Systems Inc $265

5/2019 UNPAID

Inquiries: 20

As the others, 16 fall off 1/2020

Public Records:

Whew! In these ground breaking stages, I've also tackled deleting all my old addresses, as well as ordering all of my consumer reports that seemed relevent/had ever heard of. Believe it or not, I've already went through two books of stamps with the nothingness it looks like I've done. 

I guess I just need guidance on how to pursue these CA and paid CO accounts. And how many times should I send/resend my letters after the initatal request is declined? How often should I send them... I was thinking every 60 days? Honestly, any wisdom and/or experience is appreicated. I know I direly need good standing accounts... The only positive I have on these reports is the length of accounts (6 yr 11 months), so I plan on signing up for Self Lender sometime this month... But the last thing I want to do is create any over-extending of myself financially, otherwise I'll be posting again in 4-5 years with more wreckage... and then what would all this be for. Ha! Go easy on me, just a little, if you will... I know it's pretty bad, but I also know that staying on top of it from this point forward and chipping away at the damages that have already incurred is putting me in a better position than ignoring it until I'm in a place where credit is needed or time-sensitive. 

Thanks for the read. I'm excited for rebuild and the growth that comes from it all.

1 REPLY 1
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Floating v. Swimming in the deep end

Welcome to the forums. I'm trying to gauge what's going on with your debts and try to follow what your saying. Long posts are kinda hard when there's so much info to try and figure out a plan. If you could list the debts. One by one. Company name, Amount owed, and the lates that go with that account. Then it would be easier to set up a game plan with the gang in here.

I will say please dont go looking for more credit.  And with all the inq's thats listed. Thats the last thing you need. Theres a hole in the ship. Got to repair that leak before it totally sinks.  Fix whats broken first. So fire away and we'll see what can be done to right the ship.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.